Advice for getting into bow hunting

SouthGA5

I want to get into bow hunting. Where do I start? Don’t want to break the bank but want reliable equipment.

Long Cut

Reliable archery equipment and affordable is unfortunately an oxymoron.

You don’t mention a budget, but finding a used bow for $250-700 will be your best option. Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, Prime, PSE, Bear, Bowtech etc... all produce quality bows.

If the bow isn’t outfitted with a rest, a whisker biscuit is a very good affordable option. Any 3 pin sight will get you by for the time being, along with any cheap wrist-strap release.

Stick with fixed blade Broadheads.. muzzy, Slick Trick, Exodus.. Kill deer just fine. I’m partial to Gold Tip XT or Expedition Hunter arrow’s. Durable, good tolerances and affordable.

You’re going to want a range finder as well.

I hope this helps

shdw633

I would recommend that you start out with a crossbow, as it has less of a learning curve and much better accuracy when starting out. You can get one that is new and comes complet with sites and bolts that is good quality for around $200, then get some additional bolts and some good broadheads for them and a rangefinder and you are pretty much ready to go. If you are only wanting to go bow only I would buy a good used bow as stated by Long Cut, preferably one that is ready to go with rest and site, make sure you buy one that has the correct draw length so look on the internet to see how to determine your draw length, and then start practicing....LOTS AND LOTS OF PRACTICE.

Mike 65

All of the above.
Once you’ve got you a bow, Shoot, shoot ,shoot and then shoot some more!
Don't let lack of practice cost you a deer.
And have fun!
It’s a whole new animal when you hunt with a bow,

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Go drop $200 on a pse stinger or something like that. 10 years old is fine, most tech upgrades since then are nickel and dime anyway. Shoot it / hunt with it for a year. After that, you'll know exactly what you love, hate, and need. Make bow #2 your baby.

SouthGA5

I don’t want to spend over 650. I also have a crossbow and love it. Main reason I bought it was to hunt more. Now I want a bow because it looks pretty fun haha. Also I have family in Maine and some family land up there. Having a bow would extend my opportunities to hunt up there.

oldguy

Your avatar indicates South GA. Take the time to go visit Big Jim (Big Jim's Archery) near Albany. Don't be shy. Tell 'em what you want and what you're looking for. You won't regret the time you spend there whether you buy a bow or not. Very good, helpful folks that can give you alot of advice. Let you shoot several bows (traditional) and help you get started.
Just one word of warning. If you follow Jim to the shop those custom bows WILL cast a spell on you!

splatek

UAEC
No expert here, just some advice from someone else who just started out.

If you are interested in going traditional, I would recommend not going overboard at first. YOu might find out you don't like it. I bought a $99 Amazon Samick Sage; it comes highly recommended as a starter bow. It's a takedown recurve so you can change out the limbs and get practice in daily with light weight limbs (for technique) or heavier limbs (for what you might hunt with). Just my 2 cents there, but my son and I have been having a blast shooting our recurves in the yard.

If you are thinking compound, again, I would not fall in the trap of spending too much. Sometimes I like to drink wine, and my taste is refined enough that I can tell the difference between $2chuck and $10 wine, but I cannot tell the difference between $10 and $100. It all just tastes like wine after that. As a new bowhunter, I liken bows to that analogy (and budget). Certainly don't go buy your blue light special, but I also do not think you need the $1500 super engineered bow to kill a few animals. I think for a few hundred bucks (including the bow, a good tuning, a handful of arrows, broadheads) you could be killing things no problem. It's my opinion that you do not need the fastest bow on the market and the strongest poundage, etc etc.

I think for a few hundred bucks you could be all set and ready to roll. Then if you find that you like it, you could research and test drive new bows, arrows, broadheads, etc so that when you decided to make the plunge into the bank account you can do it informed.

Hillbilly stalker

It’s pretty easy to find a good used bow for around $300. The main thing is you need one that fits you. Go to a shop or have someone measure your draw length . That’s your starting point. Used bows generally have most if not all the accessories you need to shoot with, some even with arrows. If you go with a traditional bow most all will fit you, their more versatile on draw length. A new compound bow will cost you more than a Browning rifle, buy used until you see if it’s for you. Craigslist is a great place to start.

Triple C

Buy you a used longbow or recurve and you'll have a piece of art that you can pass down to your grand younguns. Compound ends up in the bottom of the pile in the shop or garage in bout 10 years never to be used again by most.

Hunter922

Just like going out on a date with a 4.... Don't put to much money into it, know that the personality of you equipment is more important than what it looks like and have fun...?

GRT24

If you weren’t so far away I’d give you one. If you can figure out how to get to me it’s yours for the keeping. It’s a Fred Bear Cruzer it has the basics. Whisker biscuit, 3 pin sight, small stabilizer, and quiver. Bow is in good shape. I did the same as you. I bought this as my first bow and used it for two years and killed several deer with it. Once I knew I was hooked I made the plunge and bought a new PSE evolve. I also feel that when you become efficient with a lower end bow and then put a high dollar one in your hand you will immediately feel the difference. If you are hooked on hunting now wait until you draw back on a deer and light an arrow fly. I just thought I loved hunting until that moment. I shoot nearly every week of the year now. I could care less if I ever killed a deer with a long gun again. All that I would ask is that when you are done with the bow pass it along to someone else that wants to getting into bow hunting.

Ihunt

I didn’t take the time to read all the post so sorry if I’m regurgitating.

If youre going to practice get a real bow. Compound.

If you’re going to practice all of the time then a traditional bow will be fine.

If you’re going to practice 2 weeks before the season get a crossbow.

Even with years and years of practice I want my shots under 40 yards. Archery isn’t about how far you can shoot but how close you can get. Just know that a lot of deer will get past you. Oh well! The first few times a whopper gets by it will hurt but after a while you’ll just laugh it off.

Welcome to the addiction.

splatek

UAEC
Even with years and years of practice I want my shots under 40 yards. Archery isn’t about how far you can shoot but how close you can get. Just know that a lot of deer will get past you. Oh well! The first few times a whopper gets by it will hurt but after a while you’ll just laugh it off.

Welcome to the addiction.

I really like this: Not about how far you can shoot, but about how close you can get. Man, that's really a great synopsis for why I started hunting with a bow. That and I am not really a good shot with a rifle... too much coffee or something ;)

And total truth about big ones getting passed you... that was the story of last season for me... I am chalking them up to rookie status, unless it happens again this year, then I will just take the claim of bad hunter. HAHHA

ddd-shooter

Many a mature deer gets past me before I connect with one. I’m good with that. Both bucks I shot last year were under 25 yards.
Practicing out to 60 regularly helps a ton with that.
The biggest one I had at 40 broadside and could’ve shot, but he was following a doe and part of me didn’t want to end my season. The other part didn’t want to shoot that far. The doe took him out of sight, then right under my tree. Patience and lots of time in the woods kills most archery deer.