Advice from Advanced Hog Hunters

LNK

I live on 10 acres in Wilkes County Ga.I deer hunt but never hog hunting.Hogs are visiting almost every nite now on my property.I go out almost every nite at different time
but never have seen them , yet each morning new sign. I dont want to hunt all nite for them..Any suggestion ?

frankwright

What are the hogs coming to? Garden plot or food plot?
Put up a trail cam and see if you can pattern them as to what time they come.

LNK

Rooting up leaves under oak trees. No garden or food pots..one nite they rooted up banks around my surface pond.They just make a mess...

bany

You might train them with corn, if they are stuck on the area.

Todd E

If you're not hunting the wind properly, you're warning them of your presence before they even get close. MRi off a trail cam is what one uses to pattern and hunt.

sghoghunter

Usually starting around February all the acorns are gone and with deer season out most people aren’t running feeders and hogs are rambling all over looking for food. They will root under oak trees looking for hidden nuts and on our club they always root under cedar trees real bad. If you want to hang around put out a feeder or corn if not they’ll usually move on through if they can’t find food

LNK

Usually starting around February all the acorns are gone and with deer season out most people aren’t running feeders and hogs are rambling all over looking for food. They will root under oak trees looking for hidden nuts and on our club they always root under cedar trees real bad. If you want to hang around put out a feeder or corn if not they’ll usually move on through if they can’t find food
Sign of hogs started about 2 weeks ago..I have a tripod stand on my property..may put out some corn and hunt.

Get a cell cam. I started using one over a bait pile the last few months and it works pretty well. You can try and pattern them using a normal trail cam but if they’re like our pigs they’ll hit the bait between 8pm and 6am, no pattern what so ever.

sleepr71

I’ve had them that showed up so regular,they were on time,like Employees...then poof...gone for a week,or two. I have a group now that comes to a Corral trap of mine about once a week. Some go in the trap,some don’t. One night,all of them went into the trap & I didn’t wake up to set it off. They are always erratic & unpredictable. Aggravating.

sleepr71

I’m not sure if you are planning on Trapping,or shooting them? IF you are thinking of trapping(to try & get rid of all of them).....do the trapping first! If you shoot them,you’ll get a few & the rest run off to breed again..?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Baiting my hog traps with syrup. It goes into the dirt and the coons can't eat it up like they do corn.

Luvntheoutdors

Corn, blue Kool aid some cheap beer and let it ferment in a bucket. Hunt over it in a few days dumped out in a hole. If you can find powdered molasses, that is crack for hogs.

LNK

I’m not sure if you are planning on Trapping,or shooting them? IF you are thinking of trapping(to try & get rid of all of them).....do the trapping first! If you shoot them,you’ll get a few & the rest run off to breed again..?
I just want them gone.They were here again last nite 4/8/21
Guess I will hunt all nite and see.
Thanks for info.

ditchdoc24

A very effective option is a thermal or night vision scope. I've trapped hogs but they got wise to it very quickly. Thermal is about the most consistently effective tool I've found, especially for the bigger ones.

Attachments

• D786E21F-9D5F-4321-880F-BD5BCEE9D923.jpeg
    D786E21F-9D5F-4321-880F-BD5BCEE9D923.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 23