After 40 years of hunting I am done

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Sorry to hear that. I truly hope you recover enough to at least enjoy some bird hunting.

ninjaneer

I tested positive for alpha gal last December. It sucks. I get asthma like symptoms from mammal meat and dairy. I still hunt since my wife and family love venison. I just completed a procedure this weekend called SAAT (Solimans Auricular Acupuncture Treatment) where a tiny acupuncture needle is placed in your ear and stays in place for 3 weeks. I will be slowly reintroducing meat and hoping for remission. Many people are seeing good success with this treatment. Check out Facebook group Alpha Gal Remission if interested in reading peoples stories. The lady I saw is in Smyrna. She flew to Maryland to study the procedure from the fellow who originated it. Dr Nader Soliman. She is Cari Cater at Tree of Life Healing Center.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Why would this make you stop hunting completely?

baddave

may i ask , what are the symptoms? you get sick after eating red meat?

brownitisdown

This is what I look like after eating pork that was in waiting room of the ER deer and bear and beef is almost as bad you and yes I am not killing something I can't eat in my mind that is wrong

Attachments

• 19615.jpeg
    19615.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 214

ninjaneer

may i ask , what are the symptoms? you get sick after eating red meat?

Depends on the person. Can range from just hives and itching to full blown anaphylaxis, BP drop and hope you get to an ER. Symptoms most often begin 2 to 6 hours after ingesting mammal meat. It's not just "red" meat. Most all mammal meat except people and certain primates contain galactose alpha 1, 3 galactose which is a carbohydrate or sugar which causes the reaction. This is different from meat allergies where the person is allergic to the protein. My throat closes up. I never got hives from eating meat which I stopped doing after the positive test. I did get hives where blood got on my arms from butchering deer and it caused a burning sensation pretty much immediately.

ninjaneer

Brownitsdown, an epi pen is a good thing to keep handy with this. Benedryl can relieve the symptoms, does for me. Some folks react to the gelatin in the capsules and recommend unisom sleep melts instead, same active ingredient. Hate to see anybody with this stuff. . Dr Scott Commins at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is probably the leading authority on this condition. Most other drs and even allergists seem very uninformed about this condition.

Hillbilly stalker

Is small game an option for you ? Even if you don't eat it, it's a blast treeing ( not killing) squirrels and coons. Might be an option for you. Or hook up with some guys who run beagles. I'd have to hunt something.

ninjaneer

Also, watch out for carrageenan a common food additive which is used as a thickening agent. On a molecular level it closely resembles alpha gal and can cause reactions. Heritage Farms raw chicken is an example.
Ingredients
CHICKEN WINGS CONTAINS UP TO 15% CHICKEN BROTH, CARRAGEENAN, SALT

shdw633

Is small game an option for you ? Even if you don't eat it, it's a blast treeing ( not killing) squirrels and coons. Might be an option for you. Or hook up with some guys who run beagles. I'd have to hunt something.

I was thinking the same thing. Predator hunting and coon hunting can be a blast, as well as bird hunting. I would take a North Dakota pheasant hunt over a lot of deer hunts in a flash. Duck hunting can be a lot of fun as well. No reason to give up something you enjoy doing, just change your goals for success and have some fun out there. A bad day in the woods beats a good day sitting around the house!! You could also be a mentor to someone and take them out in the woods on a deer hunt and enjoy the success's they have in the stand with you. Lots to do!!

Hillbilly stalker

You may have a few more options to ponder.
Do the processors in your area have a " hunters for the hungry" program ?
Our local processor will let you drop off a deer and donate it for heart patients for free.
Also myself and other people donate several deer a year to our churches food pantry for people who have fell on tuff times.
I wouldn't punt just yet.

Latest posts