afternoon hunts

sweatequity

Anyone seeing deer in the afternoon? If so whats your setup? I am thinking setting up tomorrow on a creek crossing.

My plots are dusty and no acorns yet...

thanks....

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Same plan I have for Thursday afternoon. I have a natural spring that makes a pool then flows into a creek. With these dry conditions I have a feeling that this spot might produce. I have seen deer there under these conditions before.

Timberman

Grapes or persimmons. Grapes are dropping good over here. If you can find the odd oak dropping, whammo. But there ain't many. I've found four but that's walking a bunch of acres.

Outdoor-Writer07

Afternoon Set-up...

The only deer I have seen so far this season has been in the evening. I am set up in the hardwoods and there are a few acorns there. I usually have more luck in the evenings though! Go Stick one! l)-> MUZZY!!!

GTHunter007

I hunted sat in morning and evening. Saw one deer in morning and nothing in evening hunting over a trail leading from bedding area to creek. usually have good luck in evening early in the season just really haven't been able to get back in the woods since sat yet. My evening luck has often been hunting over or around hardwood ridges. Deer seeem to love to come out and feed in last hour or so before dark.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

most of my set ups for mature bucks are right on top of bedding areas..........VERY hard to get into quietly as dry as it is...... :)

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
I think I will setup along a creek bottom withit being so hot. Haven't been able to locate a good food source yet but when I do I'll be on that like a rat on a cheeto!!

TJay

I've only made one afternoon hunt so far but it was unproductive. Hunted over ankle deep Patriot clover. The deer are eating the clover but I think it's mostly at night. Man, the coyotes struck up the chorus right at dark, must have been at least a dozen of them. We've got work to do.

bradpatt03

My evening luck has often been hunting over or around hardwood ridges. Deer seeem to love to come out and feed in last hour or so before dark.

that's the only thing that has worked for me so far...

produces every time...especially if there's a good creek at the bottom :cool: