Afternoon Tactics

humblehunter22

Hey Everyone another question. Learning as much as I can as I go. It appears I will have to take to some afternoon hunting due to work and family matters. Average time I have been able to get into the woods has generally been between 3-4 pm. So I have been typically trying to focus more so on hunting them where I think they may roost or try to roost. I understand the tactics are different in the afternoon as the action typically tends to taper off compared to the early morning hunts. However I have heard the saying repeatedly that if you can manage to get him to sound off in the afternoon you best be ready because that's more than likely one that has a death wish. Also taking into consideration by this point I would think the hens should have started to take to nest and generally they leave to do so mid morning towards the afternoon so the odds get better of encountering a desperate love sick tom that wants some more action. My question is I'm mainly going into areas blind that im not positive if the birds do roost in the areas im hunting, I am mainly going off of sign I have found and trying to hunt the areas that seem to have the most of it or the rare hunt or 2 that I have heard a bird so far this season. I'm not sure if terrain or environment plays a considerable role for yall as far as choosing an area to set up blindly in in Hope's of calling a bird to you that may be near or may be far. I know that typically in the afternoons most of the time they do tend to come in silent so that's where the silence, patience and being as still as possible plays the most important part if capable of drawing one in whether he gobbles or not as well as less calling is more in regards to afternoon sequences go. So again any advice or tips are greatly appreciated for afternoon strategies for setting up in an area blind as I am hunting public land and looking for any consideration into what I should or should not look for when choosing a location to dedicate the afternoons hunt to?

hambone76

Seems as if you have the right approach figured out.
I’m sure that we all have different approaches to afternoon hunting, but here is my $.02 worth.
The few afternoon birds that I have been fortunate to kill were struck with aggressive cutting that was the beginning to my call sequence. I myself have had better luck getting a shock gobble in the afternoon by starting out with aggressive cutting that comes with no advance warning and then transitioning to soft calling if I even need to follow up with that and then silence if I know he’s committed.

Mark K

Banned
^^^That^^^
That’s about the only way I’ve known any were around. He may only do it once, but if he does have the weapon on ready.