Aiming Yardage

Buckaroo93

Scenario: 36ft to shooting height. Deer ranged at 31.5 yds. My rangefinder does NOT have angle compensation so I missed her high.

Question: What horizontal yardage should I have used to pick the correct pin?

Hunter922

I would have shot my 25 and aimed at the heart..Just asking, for a friend.. do you have to hunt that high or just want to??

Buckaroo93

I would have shot my 25 and aimed at the heart..Just asking, for a friend.. do you have to hunt that high or just want to??
It's a lock-on and I set it up before bow season. Had to get that high, because of terrain, to see my feeder ;) and get into some cover.

If A squared + B squared still = C squared, then the true distance with the angular compensation was about 29 yards. Shouldn't have made much difference, except the height you hunt gives you little margin for error. Try to estimate the yardage from the bottom of the tree to the target. if your going to hunt that high, upgrade your rangefinder or subtract a couple yards at 30. The angle really doesn't make a lot of difference until you get way out there.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
At last, proof that bows were not intended to be used from trees.

For what it’s worth.

I hunt high. Really really high.

I’ve never ranged a deer in my life and shot it. And I’ve killed my fair share.

When I miss it’s because I misjudged one of the following.....the yardage, or how much the deer will duck if they are spooky.

Angle compensation is worthless for the average hunter. You don’t need to worry about it.

Hunter922

[QUOTE="Turkeyhunter3400, post: 12008327 except the height you hunt gives you little margin for error. [/QUOTE]

^^^ this...
Little Margin for error, much smaller target/ poi the higher you climb...

BowanaLee

If you missed high, she probably reacted to the shot too because on average, you only knock off a couple yards. With your rangefinders, range horizontally to a tree trunk and you'll have it. Thats what I did with my older ones. Mine shows both yardages at the same time. I shoot by my angle compensating range finder, even with my xbow. I may do it a little different than some though ? From the tree, with an compensating range finder, I range my lanes at 25 yds and mentally mark it. Thats where I want them and what I set up for. Anything inside that, I mainly just smack them. I do hold a few inches low for real close shots or alert deer. If my lanes have longer shots, I mentally mark the most likely ones. My rangefinders are hanging around my neck for quick use. I hunt HIGH.

Kris87

Most bowhunters that miss high do so because of form breakdown. They don't bend at the waist properly and keep the correct T position. They drop their bow arm and throw everything out of whack. There was likely less than a yard difference in your horizontal distance and the distance of your shot.

Buckaroo93

I agree. Several factors were at play here I'm sure. As I played the scenario over and over in my head, I did recall thinking as I drew and tried to find my anchor point with my release hand, "This don't feel right...where's my earlobe?"

Wayne D Davis

When I'm in a tree I'm minimum 20 ft... max around 35 ft. My range finder shows angle distance and it's always within a yard or 3. My xbow drops 4 in. every 10 yards. Misjudged 3 yards is just over 1" . Shouldn't be a problem. As a rule I aim slightly low while keeping in mind my angle to vitals