All those in favor of lowering the limit and season...

Mark K

Banned
What are you doing to help the situation?
Besides saying you don’t have any birds on social media, what are you doing on your land, club, lease, etc...?
And if you don’t have birds, state what part of the state you’re hunting.

Tail Chaser

The turkey population on the private property I have to hunt seems to be slowly growing. At least we are seeing high flock numbers in the fall and winter as well as more hens nesting in the spring. We have thinned timber and started dormant and growing season burns over the last few years in an attempt to improve nesting and brood habitat. We limit ourselves to 1 bird per person (only two of us hunt) and our kids may kill 1 bird per season. I know we have a roblem with nest predators because I have trail cam pictures of 6-8 coons each night during deer season not to mention the yote, cat, and fox population. We could make an even greater improvement if we had the time and money to trap but, we live too far away to check traps every 24 hours.

However, my concern is on PUBLIC land. Southwest GA WMAs have seen a big decline in birds in the past 5-7 years. This is where I would like to see a change in the limits. I find it interesting that the new WMA open for turkey hunting on the CFL Hilliard tract is a 1 bird limit. You would still be able to kill 3 per season just not all on one WMA.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The first 30 years I hunted South central Georgia. Some birds the first years then the population climbed. I hunt all over Southwest Georgia now and have for the last 30 years. Plenty of birds here too. Some years it might seem like there are not many, but there` s always enough.

One big thing I`ve noticed. In the old days, folks didn`t fuss at all. Nowadays, a good many turkey hunters do a lot of crying and bellyaching. I really don`t understand it.

The season is fine like it is. Although, a short fall season like we used to have would be nice.

Mark K

Banned
Well good news is our SW Georgia WMA’s are having their timber thinned and being trapped. I’m going to hope that’s for all the State’s WMA’s.
I hunt both public and private land. Limit ourselves to 1 bird per tract of private. Public land birds are still there, just may not be where they were last year due to too many factors. Boot leather is a must on public land.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Well good news is our SW Georgia WMA’s are having their timber thinned and being trapped. I’m going to hope that’s for all the State’s WMA’s.
I hunt both public and private land. Limit ourselves to 1 bird per tract of private. Public land birds are still there, just may not be where they were last year due to too many factors. Boot leather is a must on public land.

Same here, Mark. I never kill but one bird on a piece of land per season. After that I`ll go to some of my other places.

Tail Chaser

I will agree with you 100% on the boot leather. Current year habitat may have changed from the previous 6-8 years and turkeys go where the food and cover are. But, my question to you is why is one bird good enough on private but not public? If you can refrain from killing multiple birds on a private tract why not only one on a public tract?

Last edited:

Wayne D Davis

I hunt High pressured WMA's..... plenty of turkeys where I go. I see no need to lower the limit. I'd have no problem waiting till April to start. Those two weeks of March are rather quiet anyhoot. I've seen turkeys all year round. I been after one smart old bird going on 4 seasons. Not many will climb the mountain day after day to get him. I'm gonna need new boots this year.

Buckman18

I like the season just the way it is. I hunt a deer lease in Mcduffie and I hunt 750,000 acres of CNF in the mountains, depending on my mood. Georgia has an abundance of turkeys, north and south. The hunting on the lease is typically a lot easier. The hunting in the mountains is typically more challenging, having logged many 8-10 mile days. Hard to kill ‘em crying on a keyboard.

Buckman18

I hunt High pressured WMA's..... plenty of turkeys where I go. I see no need to lower the limit. I'd have no problem waiting till April to start. Those two weeks of March are rather quiet anyhoot. I've seen turkeys all year round. I been after one smart old bird going on 4 seasons. Not many will climb the mountain day after day to get him. I'm gonna need new boots this year.

March can be quiet up here, but it’s rocking in south GA! The past few years, I hunt down there in March to get in a few warm-up hunts, then transition up here starting first weekend in April. Last year on youth weekend, I called in 3 Toms for my daughter, and heard no less than 300 gobbles that weekend. If I was a legit turkey professional I could’ve called in twenty!

buckpasser

Way down here on the FL line the season starts out hot, I do respect your strategy and resolve to get the job done though. GA is a big and diverse state in the way of the turkey woods. I’m not sure it wouldn’t be better for us all if it were zoned. Though you can still kill them, the May weeks are pretty worthless here.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
The last time I thought turkey numbers were low, someone had about 11 or 12 gobblers on trail cam a couple weeks after the season. They will humble you some years. If they aren't vocal, or you aren't putting eyes on a few, they may as well be ghosts. Sometimes the only bird gobbling is the hardest to hunt, and the others are quiet. Those spurs are there for a reason. I'm in favor of going turkey hunting the same way I have the last 30 plus years.

Mark K

Banned
I will agree with you 100% on the boot leather. Current year habitat may have changed from the previous 6-8 years and turkeys go where the food and cover are. But, my question to you is why is one bird good enough on private but not public? If you can refrain from killing multiple birds on a private tract why not only one on a public tract?

Well my WMA I hunt the most is 20K acres...pretty sure if I can kill more than one bird there it would be ok. If they aren’t plentiful like everyone claims then I shouldn’t be able to kill any...right?

But in answer to your question, I generally only take one per WMA as well. I’ve killed at least one bird on all the WMA’s around my area. The birds are there and in good numbers if you’re willing to work for them.

I have learned I am not the one to take someone just getting into turkey hunting. I took a guy one time and we walked all the way to lunch trying to locate a bird. We broke for lunch and I told him we had another area to try out. He chose to call it a day...I sent him a picture of a dead gobbler before he had pulled in his driveway.

I’ll be the first to admit, I suck at calling. I know it, anyone that hunts with me knows it, and there’s probably 10,000 turkeys that know it. But I’m persistent in looking for that tone deaf gobbler that wants to die. I may not always win, but I never lose. I’m always learning.

I won’t name any names, but I was fortunate enough to be “mentored” by a “kid” who has gone on to make a name for himself. He is over 20 years my junior and knows what a gobbler thinks before that gobbler knows what he’s thinking. I’ve actually text him or his brother (even younger) when being stumped by a gobbler and asked for advice. Both times I ended up killing the bird. One thing I learned...do whatever it takes. Been on places I would have bet a years pay there wasn’t a bird within 50 miles and one hunt with this kid and he’s found them and killed one. I could let jealousy get in the way and say he’s just lucky or has more of an advantage in his calling or places to hunt. I could, but this kid hunts public land almost exclusively...and kills birds. But he goes out every morning with the intent of killing a bird. And the only thing that will prevent that is sundown. If he doesn’t he learned where they aren’t. I just follow his teachings every morning I go out, whether it’s public or private land. Haven’t been on any public land down here that didn’t have turkeys or killable turkeys. Don’t see why the state should limit someone because someone else wants to hunt for an hour or two and call it quits.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Same here, Mark. I never kill but one bird on a piece of land per season. After that I`ll go to some of my other places.

See this is a biggie
Most of us who kill 3 birds a season have 5 or 6 properties to hunt
Those who kill more than that have multiple states to hunt.
And most of us with those situations have worked VERY hard for many years to obtain and improve those situations!
The season and regulations are fine!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Like ive said before I still average 2 birds per season. That dosent mean there are alot of birds. I'm a better turkey hunter than I was 10-12 years ago and I cover a lot more ground.

In stephens county (N.E. ga.) where I cut my teeth at, the population is only a shadow of what it used to be. There are various reason for this. I have seen some recovery in certain areas.

When the population crashed, I started limiting my self to one bird per location. I hunt coyotes and bobcats. Ive started the process of learning how to trap nest predators.

Mainly because of the deer decline. I joined a lease in Wilkes county. I'm still learning the ropes of planted pines. Still I'm not impressed with how many turkeys I see in the fields while driving between our 5 different propertys. There are birds on all of them though. On a couple of them the birds spend most of there time in the cow pastures next door. That can be difficult no matter where you hunt.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
A lot of people want a turkey behind every tree so they can shoot their limit quick so they can spend their time fishing and golfing. I think these people complain the most.
I have plenty of birds on my Twiggs property but shoot one and move on to public property around home

Wayne D Davis

Way down here on the FL line the season starts out hot, I do respect your strategy and resolve to get the job done though. GA is a big and diverse state in the way of the turkey woods. I’m not sure it wouldn’t be better for us all if it were zoned. Though you can still kill them, the May weeks are pretty worthless here.
Yes sir..... April is the best by far. I stay at it when not tagged but it's more of a waiting game by May

buckpasser

In a positive perspective, instead of thinking of concerns as "whining", I think it has spurred folks to at least think about ways to preserve this great resource and sport we all love.

Yes, and I respect likeminded folks who respect the game. In this case turkeys. Not that everyone has to do it my way, but the turkey competition tv shows and social media “reeping” have helped to enlist an army of idiots that I hope can be converted, or rejected from our numbers at some point. Everyone should try to raise a few turkeys from the egg before trying to go knock their noggins off. There’s no shame in getting beat by a turkey every now and again. That’s what makes it fun.