"all weather" blankets?

MissouriBoy

transfixer

I've never tried them either, they might be good for getting you seen from the air, if something happened and you were stranded, but I agree with MissouriBoy, poncho liners are hard to beat for warmth, combine it with a surplus military poncho and you've got a pretty good emergency sleeping bag, and the poncho will keep you dry also. I've got a backpack stuffed with winter related emergency stuff I keep in my truck in the winter,, lighters, candles, poncho liner, flashlight, peanut butter packs, crackers, water , etc, in case I ever get stranded on 285 like I almost did a few years ago, when it started snowing/sleeting at lunch and it took me 10hrs to get home 36miles away.

Artfuldodger

I'm just agreeing with every one else. They are good to stash in the car or camp bag for emergency use only. I guess they would be better than nothing and keep the rain off of you. They aren't very warm though.
Might could use one as an emergency tarp or ground cloth. X2 on the poncho liner though. Those things are pretty warm for their size. I'd much rather have one of those in the trunk of the car!

oldguy

oldguy

I've never tried them either, they might be good for getting you seen from the air, if something happened and you were stranded, but I agree with MissouriBoy, poncho liners are hard to beat for warmth, combine it with a surplus military poncho and you've got a pretty good emergency sleeping bag, and the poncho will keep you dry also. I've got a backpack stuffed with winter related emergency stuff I keep in my truck in the winter,, lighters, candles, poncho liner, flashlight, peanut butter packs, crackers, water , etc, in case I ever get stranded on 285 like I almost did a few years ago, when it started snowing/sleeting at lunch and it took me 10hrs to get home 36miles away.
Yeah, and then you see the folks wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Ain't prepared for nothing!

Artfuldodger

Yeah, and then you see the folks wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Ain't prepared for nothing!
We stopped to help a young lady who was broke down side the road. It was cold and misting rain. She was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. She had the hood up and luckily it was just a loose battery cable.
I fussed at her a bit and suggested that she should keep some emergency cloths and a raincoat for such occasions.
She said but I was just going down the road about 3 miles!

AugustaDawg

Bobby Bigtime

If you carry one .the reinforced versions that are colored on one side are the best. for an emergency situation they make a great reflector for transferring heat from your fire. One combined with a candle lantern saved my life when I was caught in a crazy mountain storm. I have carried one ever since. The military poncho and liner the other boys described are essential equipment to me.