Allatoona 5/28, on fire, PB striper!

mpwarrak

What a morning! Got out at 5 am, had a hard time netting bait, got a half dozen shad. As it got light I threw a nightcrawler and got 3 bream.

Started putting lines out and before I could finish, I had a white bass on a shad 15 ft down. I didn't have the hook out of his mouth when my other downline got hit, pulled up a nice spot. My sonar was going nuts. Then a planer board got hit, pulled once hard and broke the line near the hook. Had a couple other hits too that didn't stay hooked.

Took me a while to untangle after all that, finally got a couple bream in the water again. Now here's how my NEW Helix 5 DI GPS, just paid for itself!!

I had a bream down at 20 feet, in 50 feet of water. I trolled over what was clearly a lone fish, at 35-40 ft. I jammed the trolling motor in reverse, and dropped my downline to 35 feet. BOOM! Within 10 seconds it was fish on.
After a 10 minute fight with 12 lb line, I pulled up this guy. It doubled my previous personal best striper, weighing 17 lbs!
Notice the deformed tail, you think he had an injury at some point that caused it?
The fish was released and I was off the lake by 9:00 am.

Sorry for the long story, it was just a good morning, the best fishing I've hit this year on 'toona. And thanks to the bass fisherman near me who took a picture of me with the fish since I was alone!

striper17.jpg
160528_004.jpg
160528_001.jpg
160528_002.jpg

Last edited:

weneroux

It is encouraging to hear of your success. Awesome report.

Pauley

Awesome!! Great story and thanks for sharing!