Allatoona 9-3, Topwater!!! The fish breathed more air than water!

mpwarrak

Finally made it out this morning after over a month... took my loyal partner along.

As you know I don't really care what kind of fish I catch as long as they bite and fight.

But one thing that's been eating at me is not being able to catch those "swarming" fish that come up and swirl up the top of the water with shad flying everywhere. They don't seem interested in anything slow, such as live bait on a hook.

So I keep reading Robert and others talk about ripping a rooster tail or fluke through on light line. Well, I've tried the rooster tail with 8-10 lb line with no success. I've also tried some flukes, but I never could hook them to where they swim right.

So I broke down last night and decided I was going to figure this out. Bought a new reel dedicated for this job. Mounted it on a light, short rod and did something you may laugh at. I don't know if people do this, but I loaded the whole reel with 8 lb. pure FLOUROCARBON line. Man, that stuff is almost invisible. Then I walked through the lure aisles and thought "what would most resemble these shad they are chasing?" I ended up with some Berkley Powerbait Swim Shad PRE-Rigged in pearl white.

Now I had everything except a nice morning with topwater action. Boy did I get it. Got there 45 mins after daylight, later than I wanted. Missed the first bit of action. But for a good hour and a half, there was plenty to be seen.

Ended up with six fish in the boat with plenty more that got away. I don't even feel like I had a good rhythm, between watching my toddler and feeding him breakfast and untangling stuff, I don't even feel like I fished non-stop.

All I know is every time I threw that swim shad into a mess of surfacing fish, something would eat it, often as soon as it hit the water.

And one question. I'm used to seeing several (3-10?) fish coming up to chase shad. But 4 times today, I saw something I've NEVER seen in my life. A MONSTEROUS school of fish would chase up a big school of shad. I'm talking probably hundreds. And instead of the fish kinda swirling around chasing the shad like normal, this school of hundreds of fish would chase the shad across the top of the water at breakneck speed, probably 10-15 mph. This would only last for 3-15 seconds and it would be gone for a long while. Then it would happen again clear across the cove. To give you an idea of the size and intensity, an area of water about 200 feet square would suddenly erupt to where you thought the fountains of the deep had broken up. Scared me half to death the first time. And then it would end just as fast, leaving the water as choppy as if a helicopter had just taken off. I was never quite close enough to cast into it, but I got there just after one of them and caught the small striper in the picture....

Sorry this was long, but get out there and fish while this is going on, it's a blast!

140903_002.jpg
140903_003.jpg

jzFish

Great report. Sometimes you just gotta be in the right spot at the right time on those white fish. Those little powerbait shad work for sure.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the same thing at West Point a couple weeks ago. It was not the normal schooling activity. It was an all out eruption of fish. I was about 100 yards away and they were long gone before I could get in the area to cast.

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
I've seen it on Lanier, Carters, and Allatoona in the last month or so. Crazy fish will come up, and if you hit them on the head you can catch one or two, then they'll go back down. Wait 10-15 minutes and they'll do the same thing. Tie you on a heavy walking bait that you can make mile-long casts with, keep the trolling motor ready on high, and wait until you see them. We've caught some good fish in the last few weeks (especially on carters and lanier) doing this.

What's strange is, you can mark the huge schools of shad on the electronics, mark fish all in them, but we can't catch them unless they're coming up on top :crazy:

StriperrHunterr

It seems to me that they don't feed while they're building the shoal of baitfish and have the restraint to wait until the bait is up top, since it will just scatter if they hit it any sooner.

mpwarrak

What's strange is, you can mark the huge schools of shad on the electronics, mark fish all in them, but we can't catch them unless they're coming up on top :crazy:

Tell me about it, my downlines yesterday did me no good! It's like the fish are all down there planning their attack, then say "ready, set, go!"

Trapnfish

From the second pic, it looks like mid lake. I've fished a lot of tournaments out of that ramp. I won't reveal the exact location in case the OP doesnt want everyone to know the secret spot :bounce:

got it all i wanted to know if it was mid north or south and you told me im not asking any more:clap: :fine:

mpwarrak

Lol, not that big of a secret, because the fish were jumping like that everywhere I went yesterday. But yeah, that's the Gatewood ramp behind me in the striper pic, that's where I usually launch. Didn't have to go far for action yesterday.

Robert's report actually says the most action is up toward harbortown, but I think they're jumping all over the lake, especially the spots....

Trapnfish

Lol, not that big of a secret, because the fish were jumping like that everywhere I went yesterday. But yeah, that's the Gatewood ramp behind me in the striper pic, that's where I usually launch. Didn't have to go far for action yesterday.

Robert's report actually says the most action is up toward harbortown, but I think they're jumping all over the lake, especially the spots....
cool thanks you gave more detail than kendallbearden:bounce:

Last edited: