Allatoona crappie prediction?

dijitz

Anyone have an educated guess on when the allatoona crappie might start moving shallow? I have missed them the last few years due to work travel. Hoping to try to nail them this year. I usually like to go to Kellogg Creek or Little River.

SlabSlayer

They are in 8'-12' now on the upper end of the lake above Little River.

H

Hammer Spank

Me and the other folks I talked to on saturday were finding them in 25' of water.

SlabSlayer

The ones we found up above Little River were in 50* and 8'-12' deep. Marked hundreds and they were hungry. Smaller fish in general but did land some nice ones. Caught 35 Sunday and kept 19 from daylight to around noon.

Msteele - I'm pretty surprised that they were already up shallow with the nights still getting as cold as they are.

Hammer - I bet you were on the lower end of the lake with them at that depth.

brianj

The ones we found up above Little River were in 50* and 8'-12' deep. Marked hundreds and they were hungry.

You trolling or casting? Assuming trolling if you were marking them like that.

I caught a whopping 4 sunday, was trolling in ~20 fow, probably too deep

Heading out tomorrow am trying minnows and bobbers - cant do any worse than sunday.

SlabSlayer

You trolling or casting? Assuming trolling if you were marking them like that.

I caught a whopping 4 sunday, was trolling in ~20 fow, probably too deep

Heading out tomorrow am trying minnows and bobbers - cant do any worse than sunday.

Trolling w/ double jig rigs w/o minnows

Cashvaluerecovery

They are already moving to the banks. Saw quite a few folks with bobbers bank fishing with 4 or 5 fish each. Remember it doesnt have to be super warm several days in a row to make the magic happen. Having these warmer nights is what allows those temperatures to drive upward and get the fish moving. You will also notice the cherry blossoms are already starting to bloom and the bradford pears are popping fruit. With 60s-70s every day this week and 45-50 at night the spawn on Toona will be starting easily by next week. This doesnt mean it cant get pushed backward with another massive cold front. But if you want to catch crappie, this week will be outstanding.

Jonboater

My mom's husband caught 25 today casting a jig just walking the bank in back of a creek on allatoona lake. All was real nice full of eggs still. This weekend should be on fire as long the like doesn't come way up.

brianj

Caught a few crappie in 3 - 4 ft of water today, my first yellow perch too. Water temp was mid 50's today

H

Hammer Spank

When they are that shallow, is casting jigs at the bank the best bet? Jig under a bobber? minnows? Slow retrieve.

brianj

minnows and bobber is what I used, right in the middle of blowdowns. got snagged up a lot though, so I know my way wasn't the most efficient.