Allatoona Gar Fishing 5/7/14 (PICS)

Icepetes08

Well we made our first gar trip of 2014 and boy did we start it off with a bang! They were fighting hard tonight, My dad (Eclass) hooked up first with a little guy ::ke::rofl:
Then I hooked up with a monster, along with another smaller one soon after. Overall we had 4 total and a cat we lost at the dock... One of the smaller ones gave us a little acrobatic show which was cool. They jump like tarpon! I can tell its going to be a good year already.

Attachments

• gAR 4.jpg
    gAR 4.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 871
  • gAR 2.jpg
    gAR 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 872
  • GAr 1.jpg
    GAr 1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 871
  • GAR 3.jpg
    GAR 3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 855
  • gaR 5.jpg
    gaR 5.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 877

mpwarrak

Very nice! I saw a couple today in Stamp. Wasn't sure what to throw at 'em. What kind of hooks / leaders do you use?

EClass

Very nice! I saw a couple today in Stamp. Wasn't sure what to throw at 'em. What kind of hooks / leaders do you use?

Gar Ninja is back for 2014! Fun night!

We are always trying perfect our game. I went to the cove behind our house last night and lost (3) due to line breakage. Used last night 20# mono leaders that worked last year just fine. Broke (2) on debris and one from teeth. We went back to braid leaders tonight. Roughly 4'. Small Muti Wire circle hooks. Shad for bait tonight. Patience is key. They have to run for a bit to eat bait.

mpwarrak

Gar Ninja is back for 2014! Fun night!

We are always trying perfect our game. I went to the cove behind our house last night and lost (3) due to line breakage. Used last night 20# mono leaders that worked last year just fine. Broke (2) on debris and one from teeth. We went back to braid leaders tonight. Roughly 4'. Small Muti Wire circle hooks. Shad for bait tonight. Patience is key. They have to run for a bit to eat bait.

Thanks! Live or cut shad?

tack17

Nice job! For gloves try a standard leather work glove with a cheap brown cotton jersey glove on top. The leather keeps the teeth out of your hand while the jersey hangs the teeth so you maintain control of the jaws. Both can be bought at a gas station. Works like a charm. Just be sure you have good footing before trying to lift a big one out..lol

scottpriest

That's awesome! I still haven't caught a gar on Allatoona, but I have had a lot of shad reeled in cut in half that I assume are from gar.

SW13

That's super. How do you remove your hook from their mouths? Does it take one person to hold their jaws open with leather gloves while the other uses long forcepts or pliers?

SW13

Jonboater,

Can you expand on your comment? I'm not sure I'm following what you're describing.

Cashvaluerecovery

Jonboater,

Can you expand on your comment? I'm not sure I'm following what you're describing.

Take a 5 to 6 inch piece of cotton rope. Use a wire brush to lightly brush all but one inch of the rope to make it a little wider and more "snaggy". You still want it tight though. In the one inch you dont brush use a sewing needle to thread your line through and tie it on. Get it wet. Throw it in front of their nose and slowly swim it until they eat. Obviously---do not set the hook since there isnt one. Enjoy.

EClass

Take a 5 to 6 inch piece of cotton rope. Use a wire brush to lightly brush all but one inch of the rope to make it a little wider and more "snaggy". You still want it tight though. In the one inch you dont brush use a sewing needle to thread your line through and tie it on. Get it wet. Throw it in front of their nose and slowly swim it until they eat. Obviously---do not set the hook since there isnt one. Enjoy.

We have tried this when we are on the boat and can sight fish different areas for them. They never seem interested in it. Live or Cut bait is the ticket that works for us!

Icepetes08

Thanks guys! I have made a few rope lures and only tried them a few times. I heard they work better with fly rods. I'm going to try next time I'm out. That would be a great fight on a fly rod.

Robert Eidson

GONetwork Member
Awesome post !!! I was wondering if you guys where going to do this again this year. Sometimes it is just more fun to leave the boat at home...... Great job guys...

Icepetes08

Awesome post !!! I was wondering if you guys where going to do this again this year. Sometimes it is just more fun to leave the boat at home...... Great job guys...

Thanks Capt.! We have been waiting all winter for this trip! Thanks for checking it out!!

ronniegarrison

You ever eat gar? William Hovey Smith showed me how to clean them - not easy - at an outdoor writers meeting. Have had them a couple of times - surprisingly good.

Latest posts