Allatoona last 2 days w/ uncle, PB striper & 1st U-rig catch! (pics)

mpwarrak

Had scheduled today to take my uncle Joe fishing. Hadn't been out lately so I went yesterday morning to find where the fish are.

I found LOADS of shad both times 4"-5" threadfins I think.... See picture, are they threads or gizzards?
Anyway I was getting 20 or so per cast! Was out before daylight both days with a light.

Finding fish to eat them was a little harder though.
Yesterday there was some limited topwater action, only caught one hybrid on a planer board, had another get off. I had to leave by about 8:00 though. Water temp was 86-87.

Today with the cold snap the topwater bite was dead. Water temps had cooled to 82-84. Tried a couple areas with only a 2 lb spot to show for it.

So we said, shoot, might as well drag the u-rig around while trying to find some fish on the Lowrance. We've tried the U-rig many times, seems like we've put miles on it, and it's never yet worked.

Put it on today 100 feet behind the boat and SLAM! My first u-rig fish and personal best Striper at 6 lbs! We dropped our last couple shad in that area and soon had a 4 lb. hybrid. All fish today around 20 feet down.

We finished up catching some bream, and took a nice ride in the boat past the 400 houseboats that were out there.... left before 11:00am.

Not much for numbers but size was great today for 'Toona!

By the way, the striper was RELEASED unharmed! I want to catch it again when it gets bigger! I can't say as much for the hybrid and spot... the 4th of July grill-out was calling.... :bounce:

IMG_1660.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1664.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg
mpwstriper.jpg

Last edited:

Trapnfish

im pretty sure those are gizzards and where were you catching the the shad and congrats on your first urig striper

Last edited:

suuntov

Well done brother!! Those look like nice size threadfins to me...the yellow color and long skinny body makes me think that.

Either way...great job netting bait and catching some nice fish.

Pulling URigs is a love it or hate it kinda thing. I bet that striper pulled off some nice drag.
:fine:

weneroux

If you need a spare u rig, i have left about 6 on the bottom for you.
Good to see bait and fish being caught in july.

I was thinking about making a bait tank out of a water cooler as you did. How well does it work? How long did you bait stay alive?

mpwarrak

I was thinking about making a bait tank out of a water cooler as you did. How well does it work? How long did you bait stay alive?

I'm still learning, put about 30 shad in that 10 gallon tank. Probably too crowded. I netted them at 5:45 am, some of them died, and I used the last couple good ones at around 8:30....

I want to try some "shad crack" from striper soup next time, and I was experimenting with temperature, used some ice the second day and they seemed to do better.

I'm also wondering if my aerator is a little too aggressive, too much current? I'm still playing with it, but it keeps them alive long enough to catch a few fish....

The Foreigner

Yup threads all the way there. You'll need some filtration on that bucket as well, especially if you catch your own threads.

Oh... and great catch as well. Nice fish.

scottpriest

I'm still learning, put about 30 shad in that 10 gallon tank. Probably too crowded. I netted them at 5:45 am, some of them died, and I used the last couple good ones at around 8:30....

I want to try some "shad crack" from striper soup next time, and I was experimenting with temperature, used some ice the second day and they seemed to do better.

I'm also wondering if my aerator is a little too aggressive, too much current? I'm still playing with it, but it keeps them alive long enough to catch a few fish....
I'm trying out a cooler set up too, to open up some space on my boat from my big bait tank. I use shad crack and put 30 in a cooler tank this weekend. didn't lose any from 6am to 12 and took a half dozen back home. I'm a believer in that stuff.
Nice catches by the way!!! and congrats on catching bait AND fish!!!