Allatoona Report Today 1-9-2015

Rick_Shoup

Surface Temp: 46-48
Clarity: Mostly stained
Lake Level: -8.35ft below pool-continuous generation 24/7

Out today looking for striper/hybrid in preparation for upcoming trips. Boated 1 striper (8lbs.) and 11 hybrid in the 3-6 pound class using small trout down-lined 50ft over 80-100ft of water. Most of the lake is stained. Clear water can be found from the dam to Iron Hill.

What made the day great for me was having my son Michael meet me at the lake after school for some fish catching fun!

It's cold out there but the fish are biting!

Remember to please say "hello" if you see me or Louie B on the water.

Blessings!
Rick

Attachments

• Toona 1-9 -8.jpg
    Toona 1-9 -8.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 935
  • Toona 1-9 -4.jpg
    Toona 1-9 -4.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 898
  • Toona 1-9 -7.jpg
    Toona 1-9 -7.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 928
  • Toona 1-9 -5.jpg
    Toona 1-9 -5.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 929
  • Toona 1-9 - 1.jpg
    Toona 1-9 - 1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 924
  • Toona 1-9 -10.jpg
    Toona 1-9 -10.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 919

brianj

Nice job. Was wondering what the color temps did to the fishing. Sounds like they're just a little deeper, but willing to eat.
Thanks for the report.

jerseycat9

Those are some healthy hybrids. Didn't know you could catch them like that in toona.

AStrick

Now that's a great day!
And some reel nize fish!
Congrats to the Capt and 1st mate!
Fo Sho!

Robert Eidson

GONetwork Member
Nice job rick! Thanks for the report. Any sign of a shad kill yet?

The shad kill will normally start two weeks after the water temp gets below fourth two degrees. Not saying you want see signs before fourty two. But the real kill will start a couple a weeks after the water temp dips below fourth two for a couple of weeks.
With the lost of so many shad last year. I do not expect this years kill to be so bad. I bet we have a decent bite most of the winter on Allatoona.

Last edited:

StriperrHunterr

Awesome work. Were you getting takers down at 50+ feet? I've heard many people talking about those fish being lethargic and the more actively feeding fish are somewhere around the 20-30ft ranges.

Rick_Shoup

Awesome work. Were you getting takers down at 50+ feet? I've heard many people talking about those fish being lethargic and the more actively feeding fish are somewhere around the 20-30ft ranges.

Last Friday the hybrids and stripes were 50+ ft.
The spotted bass seemed to be occupying the 20-35ft range. But you know Allatoona, things hardly stay the same from one day to the next. I was surprised the fish were so active at that depth as well.

Rick_Shoup

The shad kill will normally start two weeks after the water temp gets below fourth two degrees. Not saying you want see signs before fourty two. But the real kill will start a couple a weeks after the water temp dips below fourth two for a couple of weeks.
With the lost of so many shad last year. I do not expect this years kill to be so bad. I bet we have a decent bite most of the winter on Allatoona.

Thanks Robert - good info!

StriperrHunterr

Last Friday the hybrids and stripes were 50+ ft.
The spotted bass seemed to be occupying the 20-35ft range. But you know Allatoona, things hardly stay the same from one day to the next. I was surprised the fish were so active at that depth as well.

That's what I've heard. I have yet to wet a line there, myself, though.

Jonboater

Thanks Rick and Robert for the shad update. Hope we dont see one this winter so the fishing stays steady all winter. Had me worry when I seen ice at 41and 92!