Allatoona WMA report 9/22

Al33

I went to the check-in station to sign in and noted there had only been one doe signed out. ::huh: I suspect there have been more, just not recorded.

I scouted/hunted an area near Upper Stamp Creek and found White Oaks, a few tracks, but little in the way of good deer sign. I went via boat and man is the water high on the lake. Never have I seen it this high this time of year.

Al

spongebob

yeah, I noticed that last night on my way home...the floating docks are floating above the walkways and the land they are attached to are under water. Assume they are holding all that Ivan rain, keeping it from creating more of a problem for Alabama...

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
The Corp has not released any water from Allatoona since Ivan was here last week, but they started letting water go this morning at 11:45 and until further notice. The lake is currently 9' above full pool and it was 2' below full pool before Ivan started. Lanier is also letting water go 7 x 24.

Al, with all the high water it sure does make it hard to find a place to beach a boat. I had that problem last year when turkey hunting up the Etowah and all I could see in the dark was trees and water.

Al33

Know what you mean Danny, I went to creek area and managed to work my little Riverhawk up through the trees and overhanging limbs. I got about 50 yards from the actual lake inside the woods. Sure was pretty and quiet up in there. Had not been illegal, I could have hunted from my boat. :bounce:

I have often thought about going up the Etowah for toms, just have never done it. I have a few other places i want to try by boat for the toms as well. Let me know if you want to team up for a hunt this Spring. I would like hootin' 'em from the water to locate 'em. :)

Al

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Will do Al.

Am going to Pine Log in the morning for the first time this season to see if any pigs can be found. I'll let you know if I find anything worth hunting over.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Had not been illegal, I could have hunted from my boat.
A question - Is it illegal to hunt from a boat that has capabilities for power even if you're just sitting in the boat?

Al33

Tom / Jim / Danny

Huntin Tom, You have caused me to question myself concerning hunting from a boat. I do not have the regs with me so will go to the internet for them and do some research, unless of course, someone can clear this up before I do.

I have always been under the impression it was not legal for deer. I know small game is legal as well as ducks. I will get back as soon as i can find something on it.

Jim, you can count on it.

Thanks Danny, hope you stick at least one. :)

Al

Last edited:

Al33

OK, I found it.

Under General Regulations it states you cannot take game from a boat under power. I did not read all the reg's, so there may be something somewhere else that refers to it. ::huh:
I am sure my 3.3 Merc would be considered power. It doesn't weigh much so I suppose I could have taken it off the boat and laid it on the bank. ::huh: This takes me back to Phil's thread about following the intent or letter of the law.

Very interesting to ponder. Thanks Tom for bringing it to my attention. I would welcome others to share their comments about this.

Al

Al33

Rf

I cannot help but wonder how an officer would react to seeing a couple of hunters in a boat anchored out in a cove somewhere whose shores are part of a WMA. ::huh: I personally would not want to risk it.

Not saying you are wrong in your interpretation, just that it might not be viewed the same by someone with the authority to put you in the hoosgow. :speechles

Al

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
just that it might not be viewed the same by someone with the authority to put you in the hoosgow
And to paraphrase my friend St. Paul...I'll preach to the guards :D - Or, I'll just stay on the bank... :)

Latest posts