Almost....

splatek

UAEC
Sunday night I was set up on a travel corridor. Was covered up in squirrels and turkeys. I hear this munching sound and over the bluff comes what I would estimate to be 250-300# bear. I’ve had bears on cam at this location pretty consistently, but not this one. The couple I’ve had had either all black muzzle or dark dark brown muzzle. This one had a light tan, almost coyote fur color muzzle. Gorgeous bear.

Anyhow he’s walking right to where he would be broadside at fifteen yards. Perfect for my recurve. I’m hiding behind the tree in my saddle. He doesn’t see me or give any indication that he smells me. But he turns and decides to head North instead of west, like he was supposed to, like all the bears on cam did before him. So now he’s on my weak side. I lean back and slowly move the bow over my regret and to the left side of the tree. One more step and he’ll be perfectly broadside and he’s about to take that step....

My shot sequence is anchor-tilt head-release arrow. I slowly draw back my arrow and as soon as I reach my anchor he takes ten quick steps back toward the bluff. The wind changed ever so slightly and I think he scented me or just didn’t feel good about something.
Then he sauntered off over the bluff. I could hear him eating for about thirty seconds, but then nothing. I waited in case he decided to come back but he didn’t.

Then on the walk out at last lite I slipped down an embankment and bumped one across the drainage. Thought I broke my bow, or my elbow, but everything’s still good.

Today is the Last morning up here for me and I’m sitting in a saddle with about six trails intersecting and some red oaks dropping. ??
Here’s hoping.....

Next time! Wish I could get back up this weekend, but it is not in the cards for me.
Good Luck!

fatback

Sunday night I was set up on a travel corridor. Was covered up in squirrels and turkeys. I hear this munching sound and over the bluff comes what I would estimate to be 250-300# bear. I’ve had bears on cam at this location pretty consistently, but not this one. The couple I’ve had had either all black muzzle or dark dark brown muzzle. This one had a light tan, almost coyote fur color muzzle. Gorgeous bear.

Anyhow he’s walking right to where he would be broadside at fifteen yards. Perfect for my recurve. I’m hiding behind the tree in my saddle. He doesn’t see me or give any indication that he smells me. But he turns and decides to head North instead of west, like he was supposed to, like all the bears on cam did before him. So now he’s on my weak side. I lean back and slowly move the bow over my regret and to the left side of the tree. One more step and he’ll be perfectly broadside and he’s about to take that step....

My shot sequence is anchor-tilt head-release arrow. I slowly draw back my arrow and as soon as I reach my anchor he takes ten quick steps back toward the bluff. The wind changed ever so slightly and I think he scented me or just didn’t feel good about something.
Then he sauntered off over the bluff. I could hear him eating for about thirty seconds, but then nothing. I waited in case he decided to come back but he didn’t.

Then on the walk out at last lite I slipped down an embankment and bumped one across the drainage. Thought I broke my bow, or my elbow, but everything’s still good.

Today is the Last morning up here for me and I’m sitting in a saddle with about six trails intersecting and some red oaks dropping. ??
Here’s hoping.....
Sounds like an awesome experience. Keep after them, it will payoff at some point.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I bet that got your heart rate up. Sometimes I wish somebody would tell those stupid critters how they're supposed to act. :bounce:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Me too NCH!

I keep hunting a trail on the spine of a ridge that is worn to the dirt every year. I keep seeing bear and deer. They just wont walk down the trail while im there.

Keep after it splatek

splatek

UAEC
@Thunder Head & @NCHillbilly I sure do wish they would read the script once in a while....

As far as hear rate: Bear fever makes buck fever look like the sniffles!
Gonna keep after it, when I can. With a 2 month old in the house I was luck to get these few days. Priorities. The animals (probably) aren't going anywhere...

@Thunder Head & @NCHillbilly I sure do wish they would read the script once in a while....

Gonna keep after it, when I can. With a 2 month old in the house I was luck to get these few days. Priorities. The animals (probably) aren't going anywhere...

First bear I killed I could barely breathe! I was shaking uncontrollably and the arrow fell off the shelf when I drew back. I had to wait 30 minutes to calm down and shoot!! This was in Canada and the bear was on bait.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Something that is capable of eating you is a different type of encounter. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, that isn't too far from here. A few years ago, a bear pulled a sleeping camper out of a hammock at a site very near that one. It happens a lot more than you'd think. Backcountry sites are frequently closed for aggressive bears in the GSMNP. A lady was killed and eaten by bears in the Smokies several years ago, along with a couple folks on the national forest in east TN.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
HOLY COW!!! I heard about that recent one, but didn't realize it was a "thing" ... I will not be telling wifey about this article... no sir.
Those national park bears and town bears are a different critter, when they get used to humans and learn to have no fear of them.

splatek

UAEC
Those national park bears and town bears are a different critter, when they get used to humans and learn to have no fear of them.

That makes sense. I've always sort of been curious why bears have a fear of us anyhow. I get deer, they are prey, but bears are always referred to as an apex predator. I guess enough decades of being hunted and they learn...

Geezer Ray

That makes sense. I've always sort of been curious why bears have a fear of us anyhow. I get deer, they are prey, but bears are always referred to as an apex predator. I guess enough decades of being hunted and they learn...

They are slowly discovering we taste like chicken.