ALPS grand slam vest

devolve

With the kickstand frame.

Anyone use one? I’m thinking about ordering one for my birthday today but I hate buying blind. There is 2 sizes as well. I’m 6’3” 260# I ASSUME I should get the larger size????

Thanks!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Son has one. Like most he took the frame out of it. Not sure on the size part. Everything works good unless you got one of those giant iphones. His wont fit in the plastic protective thing with the case. Which isn't that important. He likes it.

I got one and used it this season, no complaints except for the plastic diaphragm call holder. It gets hung up with my gun sling , was opening on its own.....I took it off and hold my mouth calls in a pocket. Yes, get the larger size. I’m about the same size and it fits well. Glad I purchased mine.

stringmusic

I ordered one before the season. Ordered my dad one and a buddy ordered one too.

My dad sent his back, just didn’t like it. I took the frame out of mine after opening day and 8 hours in the woods, went back to my gobbler chair, other than that I like the vest pretty good.

My buddy took the frame out of his after two hunts, just uncomfortable, went back to his gobbler chair too.

XIronheadX

My son had some frustration reaching around the kickstand to flip the cushion up to buckle, and soon as he'd move the magnet wasn't strong enough to hold the cushion. If the straps were sewn to the cushion so it buckled at the vest side, instead of vice versa it would probably be the perfect vest.

stringmusic

My son had some frustration reaching around the kickstand to flip the cushion up to buckle, and soon as he'd move the magnet wasn't strong enough to hold the cushion. If the straps were sewn to the cushion so it buckled at the vest side, instead of vice versa it would probably be the perfect vest.
Yep, forgot to add that part in

XIronheadX

I haven't bought a new vest in 25 yrs, but I'm eyeballing that Knight and Hale Run n Gun 300. I like the mini backpack on the back for shedding clothes and maybe a small hydration bladder. Has lots of pockets and looks well made. The inverted flip down seat with cinch straps looks quick and easy too.

Just can't duplicate a gobbler lounger into a vest because of that upward angle of the seat. I hate carrying it, but it improves patience and comfort.

Last edited:

stringmusic

Also, I think alps makes a vest that is basically the grand slam without the seat bracket. Can’t remeber what it’s call right off hand, but if I had it to do over again that’s the one I would buy.

stringmusic

Also, I think alps makes a vest that is basically the grand slam without the seat bracket. Can’t remeber what it’s call right off hand, but if I had it to do over again that’s the one I would buy.
Just looked it up, it’s called the long spur, isn’t exactly the same but pretty close

XIronheadX

Yeah, I like the Alps Elite too. The more traditional style that has the material over the shoulders. Basically the Grand Slam without the kickstand and maybe less padding design.

Bubba_1122

Ordered one. Came in yesterday. Like the vest but the kickstand will never make it to a hunt (already taken that out - just way too heavy).

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I've been using the Tenzing TV18 this year. Very comfortable vest, so much it kinda negates some of the negatives I've found with it. Which are pot call pockets are low on the right front and when sitting it folds a little under my mid section which can hinder getn calls out clean. Granted generally only happens once a sit cause they go on the ground anyway. Most vests I've used seem to have inadequate striker holding power, they're gonna drop sometime. Utilizing the box call pouch for anything else is a no go because of the how the holding flap is designed. Will hold a box but won't securely hold smaller items. Has lots of inside pouches which hold stuff and fitment keeps stuff pressed against ya good for silence. Although the zippers could be made to pull from the front for easier access. Ya gotta reach way inside to get to them. I like the design of the main snaps. Magnetic hooking design. Pouch on the back is useful.. cushion support down the spine. Airey and light and like I mentioned very comfortable. One day maybe I'll get one designed like I want it...lol