Altamaha River 8-19

Nimrod71

I finally made it back to the river. I have been trying to get to go fishing for over a week. I bought bait last Friday, 8-12. After a trip to the Mayo on Thursday I didn't know if I had it in me to sit 6 hours in a boat, but I suffer through it.

I got on the water a little after 8 a.m. and headed up river to the gator slide. The air temp was 73 and it was over cast with no wind, the water temp was 83, that's warm for river water. I had my first fish in the boat within 5 minutes, a good size channel about 10 inches long. After 15 minutes and only bait stealers biting I moved on up the river to vine land. I usually catch some good fish here, but it's easy to get hung up. It is deep water high with the channel up against the bank. This bank runs about 150 yds. up the Tattnall Co. side of the river. This was a good spot, I had 5 nice channels from quarter to half lb. in about 30 minutes. Then the little ones started, time to move.

I moved farther up the bank to the worm tree. The water here shallows up here to 7 ft. and the bottom is clean. I picked up 2 fish here before having the stealers move in. Time to move.

I decided to try down the river so I head to the turkey tree. This turned out to be a good spot, it paid off with 2 plate size bream and a channel about 1 lb. size. After 15 minutes and no bites except stealers time to move.

The next stop was a place I started fishing last month just past the river boat ramp. I have caught some good fish here on the last couple of trips, the water here is 8 ft deep and the channel is about 20 ft. out. I was surprised when I had a giant bream in the boat within 5 minutes. This spot really made my day. In 2 hours I had 19 fish in the boat, 14 bream from good hand size to as big as they get. I like catching the big ones but the hand size taste the best, 5 channels all about 3/4 lb. each. I will be fishing this spot again.

Now it's back to the house and fish cleaning time. My wife has a fish fry planned for her two sisters tonight. Them girls are real fish eaters, I hope this is enough.

whchunter

I finally made it back to the river. I have been trying to get to go fishing for over a week. I bought bait last Friday, 8-12. After a trip to the Mayo on Thursday I didn't know if I had it in me to sit 6 hours in a boat, but I suffer through it.

I got on the water a little after 8 a.m. and headed up river to the gator slide. The air temp was 73 and it was over cast with no wind, the water temp was 83, that's warm for river water. I had my first fish in the boat within 5 minutes, a good size channel about 10 inches long. After 15 minutes and only bait stealers biting I moved on up the river to vine land. I usually catch some good fish here, but it's easy to get hung up. It is deep water high with the channel up against the bank. This bank runs about 150 yds. up the Tattnall Co. side of the river. This was a good spot, I had 5 nice channels from quarter to half lb. in about 30 minutes. Then the little ones started, time to move.

I moved farther up the bank to the worm tree. The water here shallows up here to 7 ft. and the bottom is clean. I picked up 2 fish here before having the stealers move in. Time to move.

I decided to try down the river so I head to the turkey tree. This turned out to be a good spot, it paid off with 2 plate size bream and a channel about 1 lb. size. After 15 minutes and no bites except stealers time to move.

The next stop was a place I started fishing last month just past the river boat ramp. I have caught some good fish here on the last couple of trips, the water here is 8 ft deep and the channel is about 20 ft. out. I was surprised when I had a giant bream in the boat within 5 minutes. This spot really made my day. In 2 hours I had 19 fish in the boat, 14 bream from good hand size to as big as they get. I like catching the big ones but the hand size taste the best, 5 channels all about 3/4 lb. each. I will be fishing this spot again.

Now it's back to the house and fish cleaning time. My wife has a fish fry planned for her two sisters tonight. Them girls are real fish eaters, I hope this is enough.
Where did you put in?