Altamaha River - Dec. Trip 2

Nimrod71

After a good afternoon of fishing yesterday I decided I would try it again today. I was up at 5 this morning wondering what I was going to do today. Then it hit me, if I could get out of the house before my wife got up I could go fishing. The boat was still hooked up and I had bait, time to go. I checked the temp and jumped into my clothes and headed out the door. I made it. In the truck the temp gauge read 41, it was going to be cool on the water. I had my coon hunting coat in the tool box so I was prepared. I got on the water just as the sun was breaking the tree line. I also checked the temp again and to my surprise it showed 35. It was colder on the river than at the house. I launched the boat with no problems, you it can be a problem launching a boat by your self.

Once I was on the water I run out to the river, as I was unloading the boat I noticed the river had come up about 4 inches so I eased out to check the river. As I eased toward the river I saw a duck swimming toward the river as I got closer I saw more ducks, then they flushed and I counted 9 Woodys. When I got to the river it was covered with a thick fog, you couldn't see 30 ft ahead of the boat. As I set there in the mouth of the lake 3 Mallards flow in and almost hit me. Where are the duck hunters? I turned boat around and headed back into the lake. Yesterday I had lost a couple of fish because I had #5 bream hooks on the poles, so I decided to change to #2 Gold True Turn hooks. I have been using these hooks for Crappie for about 25 years and they have worked well for me.

After changing the hooks I was ready to bait up and get to catching fish. Yesterday I had caught most of the fish across from the boat ramp so I started there first. To no surprise the fish were not biting as good as before. I had been trolling for over and hour and I only had 5 keeper size fish in the boat. I decided to head on up the lake where I had caught crappie before. I trolled up the lake and back, over and hour, and I hadn't caught a fish. I was back at the ramp so I trolled that spot again. I picked up 2 more small fish. I guess the river rising gave them the shut mouth. Oh well I had enough for supper.

It was 10:30 and I didn't want to go home yet. I checked my gas and had over half tank, 3 gal. tank. I have to say my 30 Tohatsu is really good on gas. Well I haven't been down to the mouth of the Ohoopee River since summer so I turned down river and headed out. That motor really plains my War EAgle 548 out in a flash. I do have to say it is mounted on a custom built jack plate and the cavitation plate in perfectly in line with the bottom of the boat. Also, something different on mounting is these motors have to be bolted on. The run down to the Ohoopee is not very long, about 10 minutes.

When I got to the Ohoopee I decided since the river was up I would ride up and check out the Old Tattnall Co. landing. When I went up there last summer it was just about growed over with willow trees. To my surprise someone had trimmed the run all the way up to the landing and cleaned up all the trash and limbs. I don't know how far up they went but I wish someone would clear it to the bridge.

After a quick snack and drink I was ready to call it a day, time to head home. Heading back up the river I thought of how blessed I was to be able to go the river by myself, load and unload the boat by myself, catch and clean fish. The Lord has really blessed me, and if I can get away from the house, I will be fishing again tomorrow afternoon. My wife's got chores for me in the morning.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Liquid nails

Great read. Happy wife=‘s happy life. I hold my end down and work my tail off to make it to the lake. Glad you had a great/safe trip. Always thank the good lord above for the opportunity to go fishing. Good luck tomorrow. Show us some pics

Liquid nails

71BAE8D1-B3D0-4D14-860C-B6D741BEFE5C.jpeg
And speaking of fog, check that out. Last year on a lake in Ga. It was so thick I couldn’t see the trolling motor on the front of the boat. When I went though the “wall” I felt like I could turn around and touch it. Made the local news with that pic.