Am I the only one

smackdown51

Am I the only one that can’t use a mouth call? I have give it a good try but all I do is hiss and drool all over myself. Am I the only one that has this problem? I recon I’ll just stick to pots and boxes and every other call under the sun besides a mouth call.

longbowdave1

Am I the only one that can’t use a mouth call? I have give it a good try but all I do is hiss and drool all over myself. Am I the only one that has this problem? I recon I’ll just stick to pots and boxes and every other call under the sun besides a mouth call.
You and my brother. Lol

longbowdave1

I really enjoy mouth calls. Give me any style call and besides all the turkey sounds, i can do a great crow call, goose call, peacock call, and my favorite the elk bugle. I've been known to sneek up on my unsuspecting brother, and let out a bugle. He loves that, NOT! Hey, it's what brothers do!

Last edited:

CroMagnum

Dude, I am so glad to see someone else had the same problem with them. I thought it was just me...misery loves company...lol

Doe Dirt

I’ve fooled with them for 20yrs off and on and can’t get it right. Had multiple people try to show me how to work it. I just can’t do it for some reason. I wish I could to cause at close range it’s hard to throw out a little cluck or purr with any other call. Too much movement.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I learned after much frustration by playing the stars spangled banner while fishing. Push the call up to the roof of your mouth with your tongue and HISS like a cat! If your face mask is tight against your face, it may be difficult to purr like that cat. Im not that good at it, but ive gotten responses on more than one occasion.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I love 'em. Except that I hate that you can't use one with a big dip in. Most times, I don't carry anything else, except sometimes my old Lynch box call to locate one while I'm dipping. :)

Twiggbuster

Keep trying, it's the way to go.
I was surrounded last weekend and only clucked and purred to get them in range.
Too close for anything loud.
It's not hard and you don't have to roll off a contest winner's version.
Just sound like a content turkey.
All I carry except a glass and good striker for long distance.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I love 'em. Except that I hate that you can't use one with a big dip in. Most times, I don't carry anything else, except sometimes my old Lynch box call to locate one while I'm dipping. :)
This

Juan De

Never been able 2 either.

Buckman18

I struggled with them for years and never used one in my first 2 decades of turkey hunting. 3-4 years back someone suggested I try the Primos Limbhanger, and bingo!

Finally able to make turkey calls that didnt sound like a dying Pterodactyl. About $4 @ Wally World.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I can work an elk bugle. I can work a duck call. And I can work a goose call. But I've always struggled to sound like a yelping hen with a mouth call. Most recently, I picked up a Zink X-lady, a triple reed x-cut. It sounds pretty decent for me and it's super raspy.

jbarron

BANNED
I got shut out last year using mouth calls. Went back to my old box call and scored opening morning. It's probably a confidence thing.

Permitchaser

Years ago i taught myself to use them. At first it tickled the roof of my mouth. Now i can make any turkey sound i want. I only take my old Lynch box and 3 mouth calls.
if your using a lot of siliva your doing it wrong

Twiggbuster

Tom teasers are smaller and that may be better for some.
I’m partial to woodhavens . They’ve produced for me.

smackdown51

It’s the seal I have a problem with. The roof of my mouth is very steep. I can get a yep but it gurgles a lot too. I’ll try different makes and see if I can find one, primos, wood haven, h.s., I’ll have to try a zink. Thanks guys