Amazing day in the woods

sprewett

Today at lunch I set out to some new ground to look for some hogs. I had made my mind that if I saw any bushy tails they were getting hammered too. Because the area was new to me (it's public land) I wasn't sure which gates would be open and exactly where to park to get to my intended area. So I parked at what I thought was a reasonable spot not blocking a gate and began my exploration. For the first 3.5 miles I didn't see much hog sign but some awesome deer sign. I hiked up to the top of a steep ridge sat down eating some crackers my son had left in my pack, thankfully. I topped the next ridge and heard a pig. Heart rate increased then I saw about 15 of them. I picked me out a small one that I could hike out. They were about 70 yards on the next ridge and I needed to close the gap because I was hunting with a 22lr. It was straight down where I was and I was concerned about getting busted. The wind was perfect so I began making my clumsy decent. I got to the bottom surprised the pigs hadn't even noticed me, guess they are deaf. I was excited because now I can go up the hill quietly. 50 yards and closing, 40 yards (my mouth was watering already had em' on the grill) and I think at 35 I am letting lead fly. The part I didn't notice when I was watching were that there were 15 more pigs bringing up the rear of the pack including a giant sow, which busted me. They took off although not fast so naturally I gave chase. Over the hills and through the woods I ran to no avail. It's truly amazing how 30 animals can just disappear in thin air. I began my long hike out hurriedly as I was running late for a date with my wife. Then another pig squealed loudly I thought, " next time ole boy next time". So fortunately I found a better parking spot so I don't have to hike 9 miles in the mtns again it will only be 4. Truly, what an amazing day in the woods! Can't wait till next time although that makes 20 miles of climbing hills this week my knees and hips want me to give it a rest.

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Nothing like a good walkabout to make everything a lil sore, but stronger with each step! Good on ya Brother! I thought about going out there, but instead I Made 2 long loops at the log today….kind of a trip down memory lane before it’s gon!