Amelia Island - Early Oct - Recommendations

Michael F Sights

Have a conference in Amelia Island Oct 6 - 8th, shame to go that far..not fish. Any charter recommendations ? I am assuming skinny water is the thing down there.

Thanks in advance for any 411.

Darkhorse

The mullet run might still be going on. I'm not sure when it ends at Amelia. But beach fishing can be good, also Fort clinch on the north end and the state park on the south. Expect to catch flounder, trout, redfish and whiting. Maybe a late pompano off the beaches. Sheepshead around rocky jetties. All this from the shore, no boat needed.
I've never hired a guide there so no comments.

Michael F Sights

The mullet run might still be going on. I'm not sure when it ends at Amelia. But beach fishing can be good, also Fort clinch on the north end and the state park on the south. Expect to catch flounder, trout, redfish and whiting. Maybe a late pompano off the beaches. Sheepshead around rocky jetties. All this from the shore, no boat needed.

Thanks!!

Darkhorse

If the mullet run is still on you can catch them with a bait size castnet as there will always be some real close to shore. Almost everything eats finger mullets. But I've caught more flounder with mud minnows than I have with finger mullet. The same goes for shrimp. I've caught more small snappers and trout with live shrimp than finger mullet. So consider a floating bait bucket for shrimp and one for finger mullet and mud minnows.
Redfish will eat all 3 but shrimp and finger mullet catch the most. That time of year some of the larger reds will start showing up.
If you fish the river portions, fort clinch especially, the tide can be dangerous when the current really gets going. Also the rocks are submerged at high tide and have a slick coating of slime, so if you decide to walk out deeper on them just be aware of the danger.
My son decided he wanted to fish farther out so he climbed on top and started picking his way out. He was carrying one of my rigs, a Shimano Teramar SE rod $120. ish, with a Shimano Stradic 4000 reel, this was the older white model $200. ish. Well, he slipped and crashed right on top of the rod and reel.
Fortunately he only had a few scrapes and the rod and reel came out pretty good also, the rod had a few scrapes as did the reel but something got bent as we couldn't get the handle to screw in the other side.Things could have been a lot worse. Just saying this to warn of the dangers involved. Fish smart and you will have no problems.

Redbeardless

If you are totally unfamiliar with Amelia Island and the surrounding area, hire a guide. The fishing can be really good in October. Give Captain Jeff Crumpton a call, you can't go wrong. He's been guiding that area for the last 16 years. Google his name and check out his website. There are a multitude of other guides in the Amelia Island/Jacksonville area that are really good as well, been with several, but would recommend Capt. Jeff above the rest due to his local knowledge.

Captain Jeff Crumpton
Amelia Island Charter Fishing
85091 Amagansett Drive
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
Phone: 904-753-6379

Michael F Sights

If you are totally unfamiliar with Amelia Island and the surrounding area, hire a guide. The fishing can be really good in October. Give Captain Jeff Crumpton a call, you can't go wrong. He's been guiding that area for the last 16 years. Google his name and check out his website. There are a multitude of other guides in the Amelia Island/Jacksonville area that are really good as well, been with several, but would recommend Capt. Jeff above the rest due to his local knowledge.

Captain Jeff Crumpton
Amelia Island Charter Fishing
85091 Amagansett Drive
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
Phone: 904-753-6379

Thank You!!!

GTMODawg

BANNED
Have a conference in Amelia Island Oct 6 - 8th, shame to go that far..not fish. Any charter recommendations ? I am assuming skinny water is the thing down there.

Thanks in advance for any 411.

I have a friend who wants to do a trip in the area and won't accept the fact that I can bring my boat and we can catch reds and trout for the price of gas and have more fund doing without a guide. Good god almighty inshore trips are EXPENSIVE in that area LOL. We are getting prices of $5-$600 for a half day trip! I wouldn't pay someone $500 to catch every redfish in North Florida. I am trying to talk him into holding off until the sailfish bite goes off in Stuart. Not cheap but not much more than an inshore trip NE Florida....and we can't take my jon boat offshore LOL....

GTMODawg

BANNED

Mullet run will be over by October. Supposedly going off in Central Florida NOW (August 23 2021 for future reference).

GeorgiaGlockMan

There is a shutdown bridge just north of town that is easy to access and has good parking lot across the street.

I went there and a few fish were being caught. A couple of big drum, mullet and mud fish.

It will fix a jonesing to fish but it ain't glamorous.

FloppinBob

Whatever you do don’t get a fish bowl of the hunch punch at Hammerheads and drink it by yourself. I fished the Amelia river a bunch, never used a guide, but did okay.