American beauty berry

Tugboat1

I've read the leaves were used as a natural insect repellant. Anyone know how to use them? Just crush up the leaves, make a tincture?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Sorry to piggy back onto your thread, but I've heard the same about dog fennel and would like to know how it was used if anyone knows.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have heard that you should crush either and wipe your skin with it.

oldways

People use to put dog fennels under there house to deter fleas. I have never of using beauty berries before. I have used wax myrtles and they are fair at keeping skeeters off of you.

Reactions: Son

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've read the leaves were used as a natural insect repellant. Anyone know how to use them? Just crush up the leaves, make a tincture?

Crush the leaves and rub them on you to repel skeeters. Use the berries to make jelly.

Wax myrtle leaves crushed and rubbed on you work too, but needs refreshing real regular.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Sorry to piggy back onto your thread, but I've heard the same about dog fennel and would like to know how it was used if anyone knows.

Dog Fennel is bar none one of the best cover scents in the SE. Break one off on the way to the stand and start at the top. Crush, roll and rub on your camos.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Crush the leaves and rub them on you to repel skeeters. Use the berries to make jelly.

Wax myrtle leaves crushed and rubbed on you work too, but needs refreshing real regular.

What does the jelly taste like? The berries seem flavorless to me.

Tugboat1

Thank you . Gonna try it.
I have a stand in some pines that when I'm headed in I snap five or six stems of dog fennel and arrange them around me in some wire supports. Visual and olfactory camo.

GeorgeShu

Deer browse them at my place. Last night a nice buck was taken and during the gutting process they checked the stomach to see what he had been eating. About half content was green material and half was little purple berries. And no acorns!
interesting.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
There’s a lot of them in a thinned stand of pines on one of our leases. Only the berries high up on the bushes are left. The deer love them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Elderberry leaves work for an insect repellent, too. I've never heard of beautyberry jelly. Sounds interesting.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
For many years, I've used wax myrtle for repellant. Also use pine boughs to cover my scent going in to a stand. Just break a few off and scrub your boots on them until they are destroyed. I've had deer and coyotes cross my trail and never give it any attention. American Beauty berries are eaten by various wildlife. I've heard of the jelly, but haven't tried to make any. I'll stick with mayhaws and dew berries.

Attachments

• getting mayhaws.jpg
    getting mayhaws.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 42