Ammo in stock academy.

rosewood

Looks like Academy has a stock if 9mm at pre pandemic prices.
20201018_132729.jpg
They put a stop to the scalping. You can't buy ammo without buying a gun. Good for them! Kind of stinks when u sell a gun and don't have ammo to go with it.

Rosewood

FlipKing

They are doing that locally too. I was lucky enough to find a pawn shop selling .308 at normal prices locally.

rosewood

rosewood

Making you buy a gun to buy ammo doesn't seem better than price gouging to me.
At least they have ammo to sell with the gun u just bought. King of hard to sell guns when the buyer can't use it because the gougers are buying it all up.

Jester896

Senior Clown
LGS doesn't have any 9mm for sale but if you buy a 9mm you will be able to purchase 1 box of 9mm to go with your new purchase. He may be doing it with other handgun calibers too.

transfixer

I understand why they would do that, as mentioned if someone goes in to buy a pistol , but the store doesn't have any ammo for it,,, not much sense in someone buying a gun in a lot of cases ,, I have no problem with them not selling certain calibers under those limitations, keeps those ammo flippers from buying it all up, anyone who was a gun person before this recent pandemic should already have whatever they need anyway.

bullgator

Just another business decision.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Once you buy a gun from them they should at least sell you ammo for that gun in the future.

rosewood

Pretty sure that policy is just until the panic is over. If they were out of stock like most every other store, you wouldn't be buying ammo from right now either.

I have probably bought 10 or more from Academy. Never an issue. Sometimes the best price comes with risk that some are not willing to take. They haven't abandoned the shooting community like many other sporting goods stores and are still the best prices.

killerv

Well, if that's the only way to get ammo from them then I guess I won't be buying any more ammo from Academy. If you've ever purchased a firearm from them, it's worse than buying one at wally world. I've only bought one from them, a Remington 597 in 22wmr a few years ago on clearance, and declared at the end of the transaction never again.

I made the mistake of buying one on my lunch break before...bad idea

rosewood

I made the mistake of buying one on my lunch break before...bad idea
Yeah, buying a gun at a box store is like waiting on congress. I have gotten out in 10-15 minutes and most of that was me filling out the 4473 in the local gun stores.

Rosewood

rosewood

I wouldn't say they've abandoned the shooting community but they sure did fold real quick on AR's and anything that resembled a mean black assault rifle and I'd have to challenge you on prices too. They used to have good prices on ammo but not so much on guns.

The one time I bought a firearm from them it was on clearance so yes it was the best price around but every other firearm I have purchased in all of mid-Ga was cheaper than Academy and the guy or gal helping you may have just worked over in the clothing or toy dept right before you got there and often don't have a clue...about anything.

I don't remember them abandoning the AR community. That was Dick's and Walmart. Academy still carries them. At one point they stored them in the back instead of on the shelf, but they were still available. But you are right, most of their employees are clueless. Let me qualify the best prices, their sale prices are usually better than anyone else.

Rosewood

Waddams

I like Academy - they have had some good prices on a few guns I bought. Ammo prices were good on the calibers I seek out too.

The whole "must buy a gun to get ammo thing" I think is an over reaction, but I don't have a better answer at the moment. I'd love to add to my .223 stock but it's been tough finding it. I got plenty of everything else, including for my AK, so I'm good for the most part.

sleepr71

I’ve only bought a ML from Academy,or any other “Box” store. I deal with just a few LGS that have knowledgeable,and courteous employees. Good customer service,and a knowledgeable person to deal with if something goes wrong/warranty issues. I’d never set foot in a box store again,if the small guys could compete with ammo prices.!

Bowyer29

I'll buy Ammo from Academy if they have something I want, but if I'm going to buy a "new" gun , I always try to buy from a local gun store, usually Cherokee gun and pawn, their prices usually best everyone around, including Academy.
Cherokee has the best prices, almost every single time. I bought my Savage B22 online when Cherokee told me to. they said they couldn't beat the price. I shipped it to them, and no transfer fee, as always.
I won't do that again. I'll pay the extra $20. They earned it.

bullgator

Just bought 3 boxes of Blazer 9mm @13.99 each at Academy in Gadsden,Alabama. Also grabbed a box of Hornady.45 185 xtp 20 rounds for $15.99

Last edited: