Ammo in stock academy.

rosewood

those 2 rounds was like finding a dollar bill.

Jester896

Senior Clown
$2 it would seem...I picked 4 rounds up off a guys floor the other day...handed them back and told him I didn't want to be accused of Grand Theft. All the while walking on 55gr FMJ loose bullets.

Baroque Brass

Well, if that's the only way to get ammo from them then I guess I won't be buying any more ammo from Academy. If you've ever purchased a firearm from them, it's worse than buying one at wally world. I've only bought one from them, a Remington 597 in 22wmr a few years ago on clearance, and declared at the end of the transaction never again.
Bass Pro is as bad if not worse. A real pain to buy a gun from them.

Baroque Brass

Can't recall ever buying one from them, but I've come to the conclusion the big box stores may be ok for ammo, but not guns. I prefer a LGS for better service, better selection, and support a small local business in the process. It's gotten me some fair deals on guns, and dare I say more than my limit on ammo for being a good customer :wink: You're not going to get that at a bog box store, even if you know the guy/gal behind the counter.
I bought two rifles from Bass Pro, only because they were on sale. After the first one, I said I wouldn’t do it again, but I did. I much prefer dealing with the local guys.

rosewood

I bought two rifles from Bass Pro, only because they were on sale. After the first one, I said I wouldn’t do it again, but I did. I much prefer dealing with the local guys.
Great deals many times makes u forget about bad experiences, or at least lessens that bad taste.

Baroque Brass

I hate Walmart at least as much, if not more, as the rest of y’all, but I swallowed my pride and went there today because a friend told me they had 20 gauge shells at a decent price, which they did. As my bonus buy for going there, they’d just gotten a shipment of Federal .22 LR at about .04/round, which is more in line with what they should cost, not .12-14/round like they’ve been going for. I grabbed 2200 rounds, and may go back for more. Good thing is my Ruger SR22 ran them with nary a hitch. Sometimes it’s a bit finicky on ammo. Maybe the supply is loosening up.

Went back by there today and got another 1100 rounds. Should hold me for a week or so?

Last edited:

sbroadwell

I don't think any of the big chains are selling at highly inflated prices, at least that I've seen. They are still selling at normal prices, when they have it. That's the kicker. They told me at Academy in Athens that they got something in nearly every week, stocked it early Friday mornings, so be there then.
I stumbled across some 9mm hollow points (Hornady) a couple of weeks ago at Dunhams in LaGrange. Had four 50 round boxes. I bought two of them, didn't want to keep someone else who might be in bad need from getting it. I do have a good bit of practice 9mm, from GA Arns.

rosewood

Good for them?
Buy a new gun every time you need ammo?
Academy sucks, IMO.
I suppose if you bought a new gun from them and they didn't have ammo to sell you for that new purchase you would still say the suck? Or would you be happy with that?

This is a temporary rule until the supply catches up. If you currently need ammo, you must have been shooting up your supply knowing you couldn't replace it.

Rosewood

LittleDrummerBoy

There's a fishing tournament this weekend giving away free ammo. It looks like they have several thousand rounds to give away and you can claim 100 rounds of 9mm, .223, or 22 LR for weighing in 3 fish.
Tournament Flyer FINAL.jpg

Nimrod71

Macon Academy. I was there today and let me tell you I was surprised. They didn't have hardly any ammo and very few guns. They did have shotgun shells, no buckshot. Very few pistols and rifles. But what was a bigger surprise was the clothing inventory. I bit they didn't have half of what they normally have and Christmas is not far off.

transfixer

Douglasville Academy had a decent amount of hunting ammo yesterday, 350 legend, .243, 308, 25-06, etc, did see some .357 ammo on the shelf, had some other stuff behind the counter I didn't ask about, virtually zero reloading supplies though. plenty of shotgun shells, didn't see any buckshot or slugs though

sleepr71

I went in the Macon Academy this evening after work..for a jump rope.! Checked the ammo aisle & behind the counter. Nada..NOTHING other than birdshot & 6.5 Creedmoor ? Guys behind the counter said they are getting it....but the same cast of characters are there at 6-7am(before doors open) EVERY day they get ammo shipments & they bring 2-3 with them to each buy their limits. They said they had a PALLET of 5.56 recently & by 2pm...it was GONE. I guess the working man doesn’t stand a chance these days! Good luck?

rosewood

Macon Academy. I was there today and let me tell you I was surprised. They didn't have hardly any ammo and very few guns. They did have shotgun shells, no buckshot. Very few pistols and rifles. But what was a bigger surprise was the clothing inventory. I bit they didn't have half of what they normally have and Christmas is not far off.

Last time I went, that ammo I saw was all gone. Guess they sold a bunch of guns since or they decided to sell it without a gun purchase one.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Midsouth offered a 500 rd case of Frontier XM193 with 10 mag for $429.99 yesterday while supplies lasted

killerv

I went in the Macon Academy this evening after work..for a jump rope.! Checked the ammo aisle & behind the counter. Nada..NOTHING other than birdshot & 6.5 Creedmoor ? Guys behind the counter said they are getting it....but the same cast of characters are there at 6-7am(before doors open) EVERY day they get ammo shipments & they bring 2-3 with them to each buy their limits. They said they had a PALLET of 5.56 recently & by 2pm...it was GONE. I guess the working man doesn’t stand a chance these days! Good luck?

macon academy has already started banning a few of them. I know of at least one personally. Whatever...I know I drove by there when I had Columbus day off and the lines was wrapped all the way around to the side, just folks standing or sitting in foldout chairs waiting on ammo.

rosewood

Yeah, but many of those guns stores have jacked up their prices on the ammo they have in stock. Academy is still selling at normal prices, but those scalpers are buying it all up.

Rosewood

rosewood

Midsouth offered a 500 rd case of Frontier XM193 with 10 mag for $429.99 yesterday while supplies lasted
Dangit, hate I missed that great deal!!