ammo storage

ucfireman

Do y'all store your ammo in a wood box, metal box or just on a shelf?
If in a box do y'all use the little desiccant moisture absorbers?
Anyone vacuum seal?

Just trying to have the ammo last as long as possible.
Mine is just on shelves and a little in a metal ammo can.

snuffy

Most of mine are in metal ammo boxes.
The 250 round boxes of Agua 22,s I have buying comes in sealed bags. I like that.

transfixer

I really need to organize my ammo, with some sort of storage method across the board, I have mil surp stuff in wooden crates, a bunch of ammo in GI metal ammo cans, a good bit in factory boxes, a lot still in the unopened cardboard boxes the 500rds and 1000rds come in, stuff I've reloaded in plastic mtm boxes, at some point I'll vacuum seal some of it, some of the mil surp I've had for 30+yrs, and a good bit of it was made 10 or 20yrs before I bought it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Vacuum packed.

Dang HS, hadn’t thought of this, I’m gonna be shrink wrapping. I have a dehumidifier and put canisters of crystals that gather moisture in my cabinets. You can buy the crystals cheap as an additive for cat litter.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The stash is stored in mil surplus ammo cans and OG spam cans in the closet of my man cave. The "ready ammo" is stacked on top of the safe.

16 loaded 30 round mags are kept in a MTM Box, next to said safe just in case things get sporty.

frankwright

Yes, I reload most of my ammo and it goes in a ziplok baggie in lots of 100 or 150.
Those go into metal ammo cans stored in a temp controlled room.
I like to do 100 round bags as one time the body of my powder measure cracked and it was throwing the charges a little light. I knew exactly which 50 or 100 I had loaded and was able to watch the ammo closely at the range.

Reactions: Dub

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One side of my safe is shelving. I keep it there.

bilgerat

Senior
I bought a 14 gun safe just for pistols and ammo, I added shelves where the long gun pert was and installed led lights and a golden rod for humidity control. I wish Id bought a bigger one cause it about full now

Reactions: Dub

Big7

The Oracle
The key is climate control. Store your ammo inside where you live, and it will last.

Forever....
I have a climate controlled storage unit where I keep my bulk ammo and supplies and in and the 42 years my Daddy served in the military, I got more than a few of Uncle Sam's ammo cans.

And.. A lot of stuff is in zip bags inside the cans or whatever container.

Best thing would be to vacuum seal and put in a strong container.

I ain't there yet.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Ain't no way I'd keep my bulk ammo in a storage unit. Climate controlled or not. Unless, I owned and lived in said storage unit.