An Afternoon with Austen

olcaptain

My guest this afternoon was Austen Sorrells. Austen is a student at nearby Georgia College & State University and a part of our College and Career “Journey” class at Lakeside Baptist Church. We have met for coffee and small talk on several occasions, but it seemed in my mind to be time for Austen to experience the Ol Captain’s version of a “Journey”.

Our goals were simple. We planned on paddling up to the Old Bridge and water level permitting, I also hoped that we could make it up to the shallow shoals that I call “The Talking Rocks.” Another item on our agenda was to move one of my Trail Cameras further up the creek.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

All of this was accomplished so on the way back we stopped at a spot or two because I just happened to bring along two light rods and reels and a cup of fine Red Worms.

The conditions and the Autumn colors were picture perfect. We made it to the bridge without too much effort then on to the Talking Rocks. We got stuck a time or two in the low water, but my young friend was gracious enough to pull us out thus keeping the Ol Captain’s delicate toes and feet high and dry for the afternoon ?.

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Once we got back close to home, we tried our hand at catching a few small Bream. We caught a few at one place and then we moved over to what my Grandson Carter calls “The Instant Spot”. We caught a few more little ones then Austen pitched his bait over into a shallow rocky corner.

7.jpg

All of a sudden, BAM!! The canoe shook, I shook, and the fight was on!! The drag was screaming, and I was saying “Is it a Cat? Is it a Bass?” My guest played this fish like a professional and soon the largest Shellcracker ever to come on board my canoe was brought to hand. It was a good one for sure!!

8.jpg
9.jpg

You can see from the pictures that we didn’t attend High School together. In fact, I have two grands that are older than Austen. But thanks to my young friend, for 3 hours today an almost 69-year-old was a young man again.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great read and by the looks of his smiles it was a grand time

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I always enjoy reading about your adventures!

Redbow

Glad you 2 had fun, its always good to be out with a friend, old ones and young ones, good stuff sir.

specialk

You've touched many lives.....always a pleasure to hear your adventures!!

tjchurch

Great read as always.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
My guest this afternoon was Austen Sorrells. Austen is a student at nearby Georgia College & State University and a part of our College and Career “Journey” class at Lakeside Baptist Church. We have met for coffee and small talk on several occasions, but it seemed in my mind to be time for Austen to experience the Ol Captain’s version of a “Journey”.

Our goals were simple. We planned on paddling up to the Old Bridge and water level permitting, I also hoped that we could make it up to the shallow shoals that I call “The Talking Rocks.” Another item on our agenda was to move one of my Trail Cameras further up the creek.

View attachment 1116182
View attachment 1116183
View attachment 1116184

All of this was accomplished so on the way back we stopped at a spot or two because I just happened to bring along two light rods and reels and a cup of fine Red Worms.

The conditions and the Autumn colors were picture perfect. We made it to the bridge without too much effort then on to the Talking Rocks. We got stuck a time or two in the low water, but my young friend was gracious enough to pull us out thus keeping the Ol Captain’s delicate toes and feet high and dry for the afternoon ?.

View attachment 1116185
View attachment 1116186
View attachment 1116187

Once we got back close to home, we tried our hand at catching a few small Bream. We caught a few at one place and then we moved over to what my Grandson Carter calls “The Instant Spot”. We caught a few more little ones then Austen pitched his bait over into a shallow rocky corner.

View attachment 1116188

All of a sudden, BAM!! The canoe shook, I shook, and the fight was on!! The drag was screaming, and I was saying “Is it a Cat? Is it a Bass?” My guest played this fish like a professional and soon the largest Shellcracker ever to come on board my canoe was brought to hand. It was a good one for sure!!

View attachment 1116189
View attachment 1116190

You can see from the pictures that we didn’t attend High School together. In fact, I have two grands that are older than Austen. But thanks to my young friend, for 3 hours today an almost 69-year-old was a young man again.
Fine trip,nice young man, and first rate cracker to fry!