Android phones for GPS

outdoorman

As I would like to avoid buying a dedicated Garmin/GPS device, I have an android (samsung) phone that I would like to use as GPS for mostly tracking my route while I'm roaming about on/off trail.
I have no idea how this works so would like some guidance on those who could point out how to get started using my phone.
Don't worry about insulting me; please explain clearly as I'm no techno whiz.
Also can get you around on private property or other areas that maps don't exist for?

Hillbilly stalker

I bought an Android phone because my iPhone 5 could not handle all the new updates. The phone I bought was a Android. I used GAIA GPS on my phones along with Onx as a back up. I never could get the GPS to work correctly, they would not track accurately. I contacted customer service for GAIA and they could not get it straight, neither could ONX. I went to my provider, Verizon, and they couldn’t straighten it out either. I ended up buying another newer iPhone and both work fine. Cannot explain it, but that’s what happened. My Android was a S10 plus.

My advice is to buy a separate handheld GPS if you do much deep hunting. You can buy any of the refurbished Garmin MAP 60’s for around $100. They work everywhere no matter what, mine has never let me down. Phones and Apps do crash, been there.

Hillbilly stalker

The Apps themselves are not hard to use at all. There are plenty of you tube videos to explain them. I have tried several and GAI is the simplest by far. They have a free trial ( unlimited time) that you can test drive. You can download it from the App Store, it will ask you to pay, just keep scrolling thru the screens and you will find the free trial. Play with it around the house and learn to use it. I could show you how in about 5 minutes or less….it’s very simple even for a hick like me.