ANNUAL CAMPING/FISHING TRIP QUESTION ...

The men in our family have been taking a camping / fishing trip over the last few years. It is an opportunity for the MEN: Fathers, Grandfathers, & Uncles to invest in the young bucks in our fold. We educate them on Bible matters, gun safety, knife safety, and usually have an awesome time bonding and making memories. This year we will be camping at Mistletoe State Park and plan to spend a good amount of time fishing from the bank of the campground. I haven't been to Clarks hill since I was a boy. Can anyone on here tell me what to plan for when we wet our lines? Just trying to be prepared bait & tackle wise. Thnx...

Cmp1

BANNED
Can't help you out,but would love to be with you guys,,,,

If there's bass there, which I'm sure there are, get you a chart buzzbait and a Blue black chatterbait from Wally World,,,,

Nimrod71

There is so much you left out. What do you want to fish for? Are you planning on fishing with rod and reel or fishing poles. What kind of bait do you want to use? You say you will be fishing from the bank, do you plan on having a boat along? Like you I have been to Mistletoe many times.

Kinda hoping the good ppl on here would give suggestions. If I'm fishing from the bank of the campground, what would I have the most luck with? Catfish, Bream, Crappie, etc... I'll plan the baits and tackle accordingly.
Thnx

BigBass123

Kinda hoping the good ppl on here would give suggestions. If I'm fishing from the bank of the campground, what would I have the most luck with? Catfish, Bream, Crappie, etc... I'll plan the baits and tackle accordingly.
Thnx

Without having ever been there, I’d say bream is your highest percentage fish just about anywhere you go. Throwing minnows or small grubs targeting the bream always gives you a shot at the other species as well.

Once you find the bream, particularly if they’re on the small side, you’ve found forage for bass and cats so you can always switch up tactics to target the larger species in the same areas.

take a 10 lb bag of OL Roy dog food, place it in a burlap bag with rocks and sink it out in front of your fishing spot. use red wigglers on light line and catch all the bream and catfish you desire.
This sounds like the plan! Thanks again...

outdoorman

Sounds like a good time
Don't forget to haul it away when you're done;
It seems easy for gatherings of folks to leave 'signs' that they've been in the outdoors
Please leave it like you found it

greg_n_clayton

The dog food works good but think it takes too long to do its magic. I use the same cheese bait I use to bait my baskets with in a small net laundry bag. It will start to draw catfish the minute it hits the water !

AWESOME WEEKEND! Beautiful Park & Campground. Good fishing and great family time! Thanks for the info & recommendations.

Attachments

• IMG_7943.JPG
    IMG_7943.JPG
    647.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7948.JPG
    IMG_7948.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7976.JPG
    IMG_7976.JPG
    396.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7982.JPG
    IMG_7982.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8020.JPG
    IMG_8020.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_E8025.JPG
    IMG_E8025.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8016.JPG
    IMG_8016.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8024.JPG
    IMG_8024.JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 100

Bream Pole

Did you put out the Ole Roy Dog Food or the cheese or both? Your bait worms? Those are great pics! My favorite memories are camping with my sons and grandsons at Vogel.

Did you put out the Ole Roy Dog Food or the cheese or both? Your bait worms? Those are great pics! My favorite memories are camping with my sons and grandsons at Vogel.
Yes, we used 3 bags (2-3lbs each) of the dog food tied off from the bank. We through them out about 25-30 ft. NOTE: Do this as soon as you arrive so it will have time to take affect (8-24 hrs later). We used night crawlers but they didn't really start hitting until we sliced up the smaller bream for bait. It was an awesome weekend away!

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
The dog food works good but think it takes too long to do its magic. I use the same cheese bait I use to bait my baskets with in a small net laundry bag. It will start to draw catfish the minute it hits the water !
I'd like to know more about this cheese bait as well