Annual meat run

Hillbilly stalker

We took our annual trip down to the swamp this week on a meat run. Now this WMA is kinda different. They only have one month of rifle season for deer and hogs, so it gets smashed hard. Two sides of the WMA are bordered by dog clubs, it’s 2700 acres and has only one dead end road going in. To say the critters have a college education would be an understatement. There were 29 people signed in opening morning. At 10 am in South Carolina, you can man drive the WMA lands. They kill just about everything that jumps.We hit it the second morning and game was scarce. Finally got on some Thursday morning, the acorn trees were dropping everywhere. I caught a good wind and slipped into a cane patch and caught 2 feeding under a swamp chestnut. I could see the cane moving and hear them grunting, but couldn’t see them clearly even at 20 yards. Finally they started moving away from the tree and one came straight to me, I shot her at 6 steps, it was kinda thick. Smacked her in the head with my little .243, she never took a step.
We went to the other end of the land that evening, I started slipping thru some oaks trees and the deer and hogs both had them tore up. About 10 minutes before dark, I slipped up on a 6 point feeding under an oak. I got to about 60-70 yards and let him hold one. We were on a meat run, so he was going to the house. I popped him and he jumped straight up in the air. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. I sure wish I had looked at that Garmin before I got on the trigger, I drug that sucker over 900 yards according to my GPS. Burnt the hide on him in several spaces. I was lathered up like a Government mule time I made it back to the truck. My buddy didn’t see any that evening. Friday morning I hit the cane patches again. I popped out in a long skinny slew. Man it looked good, I had the wind in my face and the sun at my back, I decided to sit a spell. Right at 0950, a little doe popped out of the cane on the opposite of me. I watched her for about 5 minutes, she decided to swim across to my side and feed there. Directly I looked back to left where she came from…….HOT ALMIGHTY…. Ol Bowinkle stepped out about 3 quick steps looking for her. He was about 70 yards from me and walking away. He stopped behind a big clump of trees, I knew he couldn’t see me. So I was gonna ease up to a tree to get me a brace to shoot from. Crows were hollering pretty good, so I tried to sneak up to the tree. I snapped a small twig that was under the leaves and that sap sucker heard it ! He jumped and cut left and was gone in one step.:banginghe. I just smiled, I knew better. You don’t play with the big boys like that. I havent had a deer mounted in over 25 years, but I would have had him mounted. He was a stud, biggest deer I’ve seen in many a year. My buddy killed a 6 point Saturday morning, so we headed to the house. We saw 4 hogs and 4 deer. And man I cannot tell you how thick the squirrels were, I’ve never seen the beat in my life. We killed right at 100 squirrels down there in one week last year, and probably over 200 for the season….and we haven’t even put a dent in them. Pretty good meat run this year, I’m going back and looking for Godzilla afore season goes out.D4145EC5-3B3A-4279-B08D-6F7CADD6BEF3.jpeg8ADFE90B-85F8-4C02-9F52-F3E977BB5171.jpeg1C25A6F4-364A-4B39-8E1F-B86FF57CC41B.jpeg