Anodizing trigger guard

Baroque Brass

The anodized coating is peeling off the aluminum trigger guard on my model 70 Winchester. Does anyone know of a process I can use to re coat it? It’s been suggested that I just clean it thoroughly and paint it, but I’d rather anodize if possible.

Thanks.

Stroker

Get it powder coated. Whoever does it can use glass beads to blast off the remaining coating and then powder coat it in your color of choice. Cheap and very durable.

Meriwether Mike

Anodizing is a hardcoat integral coating that becomes a part of the metal. It should not peel off. You could be wearing the actual metal down. I would contact the manufacturer for help.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Some of them are steel but most are coated aluminum IIRC. I have one sitting on my desk that has a few chips in it. I think it is pre 64 because the trigger shoe cut isn't right for my newer one.

bead blasting will work to get the rest off and prep it for new coating..you could use the Alumahide from Brownells and bake it cure or have someone Cerakote it.

Baroque Brass

Anodizing is a hardcoat integral coating that becomes a part of the metal. It should not peel off. You could be wearing the actual metal down. I would contact the manufacturer for help.
The rifle was manufactured in 1973. The trigger guard is aluminum, and whatever the coating is, is peeling off. Powder coating seems like the way to go, I’ll have to find someone that can do that.

Baroque Brass

I like the powder coat idea, there are a couple of places near me that offer the service. Thanks for the suggestion!

rosewood

You could just strip that finish off, sounds like it might be paint, with some paint stripper. Get some of the Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and follow the instructions. You can probably do that for less than $10. The powder coat may give you a better end product though.

Rosewood

Last edited: