Another, because I’m bored, poll

Thread starter #1

bullgator

Darn Flankee
What are your most versatile powders? Name ONE for each category.
1. Pistol
2. Magnum pistol
3. Rifle
4. Magnum rifle.

My choices

1. power pistol
2. H110

3. Varget
4. H4831sc

Nimrod71

Bull, I fill the same way, the heat has been keeping me inside, its so hot you can't fire more than a couple of rounds before the barrel heat up, and the river is to high for good fishing.

My favorite powders are:

1. A.A. #5 or Unique
2. Win. 296

3. IMR 4895
4. IMR 4895

I am and old reloader and I like the old powders the ones I grow up with. I know the newer powders are supposed to be better, but most old folks don't like change.

Something I noticed yesterday while looking at a new reloading manual, the loads listed for some newer calibers didn't list any of the older powders.

Also, several years ago when new powders started showing up I heard the newer powders would not last as long as the older ones. The idea was the powder would break down faster than the old powder and the ammo would not last as long. I don't know if this has any merit but I heard several reloads talking about this.

Thread starter #3

bullgator

Darn Flankee
Bull, I fill the same way, the heat has been keeping me inside, its so hot you can't fire more than a couple of rounds before the barrel heat up, and the river is to high for good fishing.

My favorite powders are:

1. A.A. #5 or Unique
2. Win. 296

3. IMR 4895
4. IMR 4895

I am and old reloader and I like the old powders the ones I grow up with. I know the newer powders are supposed to be better, but most old folks don't like change.

Something I noticed yesterday while looking at a new reloading manual, the loads listed for some newer calibers didn't list any of the older powders.

Also, several years ago when new powders started showing up I heard the newer powders would not last as long as the older ones. The idea was the powder would break down faster than the old powder and the ammo would not last as long. I don't know if this has any merit but I heard several reloads talking about this.
I can’t imagine the powder companies would do it on their own to make them deteriorate sooner. My guess is that’s a conspiracy rumor going around. I have wondered whether the move from metal containers to the plastic was a benefit or downgrade as far as keeping it fresh.

chuckdog

Top Versatility Also Great/Deserving Mention

#1 - Universal
Also Great/Deserving Mention - CFE Pistol Excellent Performer Too

#2 - 2400
Also Great/Deserving Mention - H110/W296 Favorite

#3 - Varget Also Great/Deserving Mention
Also Great/Deserving Mention - IMR 4064/H4350/H4895/CFE 223/Reloader 15 & 19

#4 - H4831
Also Great/Deserving Mention - Reloader 22 Works Well In Mag & Heavy Standard Apps

Last edited:

Big7

Pistol: Blue Dot
Magnum Pistol: Blue Dot
Rifle: H-4895
Magnum Rifle: H-4895

Honorable Mention:
BLC2
H-4350

JeffinPTC

Big 7
since you brought up Blue dot, I'll repost this warning for magnum reloaders:

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

• Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
  • Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/safety_notices.aspx

Jeff

Dub

Top Chef
What are your most versatile powders? Name ONE for each category.
1. Pistol
2. Magnum pistol
3. Rifle
4. Magnum rifle.

My choices

1. TiteGroup
2. H110-W296

3. Hopefully SW4350
4. H4831sc

Nimrod71

I to am a Blue Dot, BL-C2, H380, Win. 748 and IMR 4064 fan.

Bull, I honestly don't believe the hear say about the new powder braking down faster than the old powders, but you never know. You know corporations are all about making money for dividends and the best way to make money is to sale more product. We all know a lot of things don't last as long as they once did. Just like washing machines, refrigerators, tv's and other things. A lot of the corporations base their products on planned obsolescence which just about guarantees future sales. So the best idea is use it as fast as you can and maintain a fresh supply.

1. Power pistol
2. Longshot or 2400
3. Reloader 17
4. H4895

Last edited:

Stroker

Blue Dot
IMR 4350
IMR 4831
Been loading with these picks for nearly 40 years. I would like to try some of the newer powders but I have enough of the above to last me a lifetime x2.

pacecars

Kik 2F😜

Seems like favorite powders might be like favorite brand of pick up truck. It really is astonishing to me just how finicky our rifles can be And how many powder selections there are.

Nimrod71

Rodney you made a very true statement. Guns can be finicky about what they like. A good way to find which one is best is to talk with other loaders and find out what works best for them and ask if they will sale you enough for 5 rds.

Thread starter #16
Seems like favorite powders might be like favorite brand of pick up truck. It really is astonishing to me just how finicky our rifles can be And how many powder selections there are.
Oh so true!, but I didn’t ask about favorite powders. I was asking about ‘most versatile’ powders. The ones you can grab for a wider range of cartridges.

Oh so true!, but I didn’t ask about favorite powders. I was asking about ‘most versatile’ powders. The ones you can grab for a wider range of cartridges.
@Nimrod71 nailed down the most versatile handgun powder for me in post #2.

Unique covers a lot of ground.

Nimrod71

I didn't understand the poll was asking for the most versatile powders. I just listed the some of the ones I use the most.

But like Dub said, Unique is the one i use the most for both shotgun and hand gun loads. It is hard to beat Unique, you can find it just about in every shotgun gauge and a lot of handgun data list.

I have used a lot of Unique thorough the years, it is one that I buy in 8 lb. size. This is the powder I use when loading my favorite 12 ga. dove loads, 3 1/8 #7.5 shot over 3 1/2 g. Unique powder. this is a heck of a load. I was told it is known as the International Pigeon load.