Another big pre-spawn female from yesterday morning

Scout'nStripers

These big girls are the early spawners and they are literally eating for thousands right now. If you can find them they are a blast to catch on finesse tackle. It seems like every year just about this time of year before the Feb. full moon I start finding these big ole females staging in the areas leading back to spawning grounds. They cruise these shallow areas eating everything they can for the upcoming spawn. Every once in a while we cross paths and the fight is on.creek - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Scout'nStripers

What types are spawning grounds are you referring to for a spotted bass?
The types where we see them spawning year after year. Usually out of the way pockets, dock ends and rocks in creek pockets.

Last edited:

TroyBoy30

The types where we see them spawning year after year. Usually out of the way pockets, dock ends and rocks in creek pockets.

interesting. Most say the majority of spots do not migrate back in the creeks like large mouth. Probably why the reef poles are so hot at the right time.

Scout'nStripers

interesting. Most say the majority of spots do not migrate back in the creeks like large mouth. Probably why the reef poles are so hot at the right time.
I actually live in the back of a creek and see spots back in the back of the creek on bed every year. They spawn in the backs of the creeks front of the creeks, main lake reefs and humps as well as many other places on this lake.

littlejon

I actually live in the back of a creek and see spots back in the back of the creek on bed every year. They spawn in the backs of the creeks front of the creeks, main lake reefs and humps as well as many other places on this lake.

I agree, and would add they will spawn in deeper water then LM. Especially where water fluctuations will not effect them as much.

Scout'nStripers

I agree, and would add they will spawn in deeper water then LM. Especially where water fluctuations will not effect them as much.
Yep, I see them out on the ends of docks and deeper between the docks than a LM. Just as an example, a LM will spawn under my gangway but the spots will be around the deeper poles or out on the ends of the docks.

TroyBoy30

Yea I’d assume those that stay in the creeks will also spawn in the creeks. I don’t think those on the main lake travel to spawn in the creeks though. Don’t they also spawn after the large mouth as well?

Scout'nStripers

Yea I’d assume those that stay in the creeks will also spawn in the creeks. I don’t think those on the main lake travel to spawn in the creeks though. Don’t they also spawn after the large mouth as well?
Agreed. I believe they spawn where their home is. I don't believe there is any major migration to the creeks for the spawn. Yes, I believe most of the LM spawn after the bulk of the spots. I also believe spots will spawn from Feb. through June.

TroyBoy30

Agreed. I believe they spawn where their home is. I don't believe there is any major migration to the creeks for the spawn. Yes, I believe most of the LM spawn after the bulk of the spots. I also believe spots will spawn from Feb. through June.

So the lm spawn before the spots? That makes more sense to me as I thought the spots like cooler water. I swear someone told me they spawn after the lm though which confused me.

Scout'nStripers

Like I said, I believe spots will spawn from Feb. through June depending on their location. Some spots in the creek may spawn around the full moon in Feb. while some spots out on the main lake humps may spawn as late as May/June. I believe the LM are more specific about spawning habits and water temps but the majority of fish, whether it's spotted bass or LM spawn around April time frame. These are my observations from the field. We used to eat a lot of spotted bass from the lake and I've noticed egg sacks in the spotted bass from late winter to early summer.