Another in progress tom

Al33

I am working on this one while working on the other, but this one is not nearly as complete. I want to get them both done so I can paint them at the same time.

The first three views (profile, front, and rear) are of two like cutouts after I have cut them out of a square block of wood on my bandsaw. I did two cutouts for comparison purposes. Eventually, I hope to get around to carving the second one.
I first make a paper pattern depicting profile, frontal, and top views. I then glue on a profile view and either a frontal or a top view pattern on the squared block of wood. I have reference lines both on the block and the patterns to aid me in aligning the patterns on the block correctly. After I cut out one view, I reattach the cut off piece with spray adhesive which puts the block back together for the second cut. Once completed I have a basic form to work with.
FST-P6.jpg

FST-P3.jpg

FST-P2.jpg

More often than not there will be areas the cuts will not get to so rough out work is required to remove the wood from these areas. I usually use a Foredom rotory tool with carbide burrs for this effort. The following top view will give you an idea about this.
FST-P4.jpg

Once I have the rough out work done I start carving. Knives and gouges are my preferred tools. Using a pencil I sketch on the feather groups on the rough out and make the appropriate cuts. After they are carved in I usually sand them off smooth then sketch on the feathers and cut them in. Most of the time I use my woodburning tools for cutting in the individual feathers then use a knife to relief them a little.

FST-P5.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed this little show and tell. I will post more pic's as I progress, just don't be looking for them tomorrow.:D

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That just impresses the tar outa me! Real talent there!! :cool:

Handgunner

I'll just say, "dang"..... :D

You never cease to amaze me, Al. What I wouldn't give to have 1/2 your talent!

Keep the pictures coming!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Delton said:
I'll just say, "dang"..... :D

You never cease to amaze me, Al. What I wouldn't give to have 1/2 your talent!

Keep the pictures coming!

I would just take a 1/4 of the 1/2:smash:

Nice. You ever do any ducks? Thinking about it, but add in work and too much hunting and too many hobbies, the ol time gets a little thin

matthewsman

whatever Nic

nicodemus said:
That just impresses the tar outa me! Real talent there!! :cool:

He ain't gonna give you one no matter how much you compliment him::ke:

Thanks for showing us how Al,I think I'll make two or three today while it's raining out::ke:

Would you say it's more what you keep or more what you cut away that makes the carving?

jman9977

Man what talent you have. That is great work can't waite to see the final product.