Another interesting find

Whitefeather

Management Material
About this time last year, I stumbled across a eaten carcass of a juvenile hawk in my back yard. Tonight the dogs got after an armadillo in the yard and while walking back to the house, stumbled on this. I didn’t have my phone on me at that time, so I went to get it. Before I got back, the possum that was eating the owl’s head was gone. After looking closer, I noticed the half eaten squirrel laying under the owl. This is the second bird of prey I’ve found that was either eaten or in the process of being eaten in the past year Any ideas or conclusions…22A3A520-79E1-45DA-881C-795B48C298BE.jpeg9116DC87-46FA-48BF-B330-C72D025D08EB.jpeg

Whitefeather

Management Material
I figure the hawk was eating the squirrel it caught when the owl killed it. The possum was just the democrat that wandered into the feast.
There was no hawk last light. The owl was eating the squirrel I guess when it got killed The possum was eating the owl.

Whitefeather

Management Material
That begs the question, Whooo?
What’s weird is something is killing them. The first one was a juvenile hawk and the owl appears to be mature given the time of year. Strange

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
There was no hawk last light. The owl was eating the squirrel I guess when it got killed The possum was eating the owl.

Oh, I misread. In that case I bet you it was a great horned owl that killed it. They are bad to kill other owls, hawks, and anything they can get their talons on.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Oh, I misread. In that case I bet you it was a great horned owl that killed it. They are bad to kill other owls, hawks, and anything they can get their talons on.
What kind of owl is that in the picture?

gunnurse

Just let it lay. It’s illegal, from what I’ve heard, to possess raptor feathers- regardless of the cause of death.

Resica

Just let it lay. It’s illegal, from what I’ve heard, to possess raptor feathers- regardless of the cause of death.
I believe it's illegal to possess any bird feathers. I'm probably incorrect but I thought I read that awhile back.

gunnurse

I believe it's illegal to possess any bird feathers. I'm probably incorrect but I thought I read that awhile back.

I believe that would only apply to raptors or other federally protected bird species. Otherwise, the domestic feathers that I use to tie flies with would make me a felon many times over.

Whitefeather

Management Material
It was gone the next day. Still haven’t figured what could do it to 2 birds of prey in a year

Resica

I believe that would only apply to raptors or other federally protected bird species. Otherwise, the domestic feathers that I use to tie flies with would make me a felon many times over.

The possession of feathers and other parts of native North American birds without a permit is prohibited by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). This protects wild birds by preventing their killing by collectors and the commercial trade in their feathers, and extends to all feathers, regardless of how they were obtained. There is no exemption for molted feathers or those taken from road- or window-killed birds. More information on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and the list of MBTA-protected species can be found here.
Exceptions do exist for the feathers of legally-hunted waterfowl or other migratory gamebirds, and for the use of feathers by Native Americans.

gunnurse

Interesting. How do I explain the goose boot feathers, turkey tail feathers, and pheasant skins that I possess for tying flies?

Resica

Exemptions appear to be for all you noted. Sounds like songbird and non huntable bird feathers are prohibited. Robins, Blue Jays, Vultures, etc..