Another off-air TV Question

DannyW

Like others, I am seriously considering going to an off-air/streaming solution and ditching cable services (except Wi-Fi). I have searched extensively online for an answer to my question without success. And it's probably a dumb question.

The best spot for an off-air antenna is coincidentally about 4 feet from where my cable feed comes into the house. If I run coax from my antenna to the main input in the box outside on the side of my house, will it provide the off-air feed to all TV's currently on my whole house cable network? In other words, disconnect my cable input and simply replace it with the antenna input.

It should, right? All I am doing is replacing the source for content...off-air antenna vs cable. My BIL claims it won't work, and I will need separate antennas for each TV like he does...one antenna for one TV.

Since the house was built in 1996, I'm pretty sure the inside network is RG59 cable...if that matters.

TIA.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Like others, I am seriously considering going to an off-air/streaming solution and ditching cable services (except Wi-Fi). I have searched extensively online for an answer to my question without success. And it's probably a dumb question.

The best spot for an off-air antenna is coincidentally about 4 feet from where my cable feed comes into the house. If I run coax from my antenna to the main input in the box outside on the side of my house, will it provide the off-air feed to all TV's currently on my whole house cable network? In other words, disconnect my cable input and simply replace it with the antenna input.

It should, right? All I am doing is replacing the source for content...off-air antenna vs cable. My BIL claims it won't work, and I will need separate antennas for each TV like he does...one antenna for one TV.

Since the house was built in 1996, I'm pretty sure the inside network is RG59 cable...if that matters.

TIA.
If you mean a splitter within the box on the side of your house, yes it will provide a signal to all the TV's on that splitter. However, the signal strength from your outdoor antenna will be split amongst those TV's regardless of whether they are on or not so you may have too low a signal strength for the TV's to pick up. Depending on your location relative to the TV towers you're trying to pick up, you might consider a preamplifier to boost your signal strength and maybe even an amplifier to replace the splitter box on your house so that every TV will receive an adequate signal from the antenna. Denny's antenna service no longer sells equipment but provides good information so that you can purchase your equipment elsewhere.
http://dennysantennaservice.com

Jim Ammons

I set mine up this way and it works fine. I disconnected cable feed from main input and connected antenna cable to outside box. I have 3 individual cable lines running from outside (old Spectrum box) to inside of house and have 3 working tv's. I do have a preamp installed.

Havana Dude

From my experience, what everyone said above is true. I tried what you describe, except that I have way too many TVs in my home. Especially since I really don’t have much interest in watching TV. Only one tv picked up a decent amount of channels, all the rest said weak or no signal. I gave up in short order, basically because of my lack of interest. Effort wasn’t worth the reward for me.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
In short, if the TV towers you want to pick up are 20 miles or less, you'll probably have more than enough signal strength to split the signal. Once they get 35-40 miles, you'll still pick them up enough for one or maybe even two TV's. Put your address in this and you'll know exactly how far you are from the towers you want to pick up.
https://otadtv.com/tvtower/index.html

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
In short, if the TV towers you want to pick up are 20 miles or less, you'll probably have more than enough signal strength to split the signal. Once they get 35-40 miles, you'll still pick them up enough for one or maybe even two TV's. Put your address in this and you'll know exactly how far you are from the towers you want to pick up.
https://otadtv.com/tvtower/index.html
I was going g to post that,but you beat me to it,thanks.
Also,different antenna have different strenths.Depending on location a good antenna rotor is good to have

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I was going g to post that,but you beat me to it,thanks.
Also,different antenna have different strenths.Depending on location a good antenna rotor is good to have
Yep, good point. Out here in the country where I have to move the antenna to get good signal strength from different directions, a rotor is invaluable. In town close to the TV tower, many can get away with a omnidirectional antenna without an amplifier. So much depends on location, terrain, antenna size, etc.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
@DannyW, after looking at the TV tower map, if you are in Lawrenceville you'll be within 25 miles of most of the towers around Atlanta. I'd try an outdoor omnidirectional antenna first without a pre-amp or booster and see how that does. You can always add pre-amps and boosters later if you need to.

DannyW

@DannyW, after looking at the TV tower map, if you are in Lawrenceville you'll be within 25 miles of most of the towers around Atlanta. I'd try an outdoor omnidirectional antenna first without a pre-amp or booster and see how that does. You can always add pre-amps and boosters later if you need to.

Yep...looking at Omnidirectional antennas. You can pick one up for $60-80 that has a reported (???) range of 50 miles. At that price I guess the easiest way is to get one and just try it. And I can do that before I cancel cable.

Thanks.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
You can also add a signal booster to one of the cable outlets in the home. It'll back-feed to all the TVs.

I've done exactly what you are wanting to do, plus the signal booster, and had excellent signal strength.