Another year with empty tags

buckpasser

I never thought I could happily go a season without a turkey kill. New Year’s Eve I lost my childhood best friend to cancer at age 37. On Inauguration Day we unexpectedly lost my otherwise healthy grandmother to a heart attack. Three weeks later I lost my Papa who had been ill for a few years. Turkeys somehow seemed so unimportant this season. I did call up a couple for others, but the few I had access to just seemed better alive than dead to me this year.

Between all the chaos and pain and the fact that I see turkeys everyday at work, I just fell off the wagon. I’m proud for all of you fellows and ladies that had a great season. I’ll try to get my mind right for next year. FWIW, I’m seeing the most poults ever right now, so I think we’re back on our way to the good old days! I predict 2023 will be memorable.

common man

buckpasser sorry for your losses. Grief can be a real tough thing to go through. Lost my dad in 2013, then my mom in 2017. They lived a long life but it is tough to go through things when it's one after another like you have just experianced.

buckpasser

We just have to live a prepared life I suppose. I can’t complain, all those listed above are with Christ now, and I look forward to seeing them again. It’s good to have clean things like turkey hunting to pass the time.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I only saw one gobbler last year, and didn't get a shot at him. This past spring, could have shot at at least six gobblers the last week. Got two, that was enough for me. Wasn't seeing any gobblers most of the season. Last week or so, seems some were traveling and happened to be passing through us. Now my cameras are getting plenty gobbler photo's. Probably the same two or three birds.......lol

BASS1FUN

Don’t feel bad I should’ve killed 4 (3 in Georgia and 1 in Kansas) between a bad shot, bad shell and hesitating cost me next year should be better, the first 3 weeks birds I was hunting did gobble some but didn’t hear a gobbler after April 26 which was the one that I made a bad shot on

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I got pretty frustrated towards the end of the season as I too sat on zero. My hot spots were cut, and there were no birds there this year. Trying to be positive, since there were a lot less birds than the previous 5 years, I’m thinking the cutting will benefit. I had to reflect on the chances I did have and the gobbles I did hear.

It was an awesome season I shared with some amazing folks here on the forum......can’t wait to do it next year!