Answer me this?

Handgunner

I was watching a stand up comedian the other day. And as with most comics, he did curse. Nothing major, but cuss words nonetheless.

Comedy Central would bleep out this and that, but would let "The One" go without a bleep.

Why do you think it's accepted by FCC or whoever regulates the TV and radio to say the unforgiveable word, but then bleep out the ones that are said everyday by most people?

StriperAddict

It cost the producers of "Gone with the Wind" $5000 to have Clark Gable say "... I don't give a dam_" That was then, what is NOW just seems to get worse. There are missed deletions all over, even on the live shows (Roger Daltrey on Regis one morning had 2x slips, he seemed suprised it shocked the hosts). I think some of these broadcast companies would rather pay the FCC fines & get the publicity than do the "right thing".

Not sure about the FCC "acceptance" here, what example can you site??

Handgunner

This was on Comedy Central.

I guess my question was why bleep the less offensive ones, but allow the Blasphemic (if that's a word) one?

Trizey

I've often wondered why some words are acceptable and others aren't. Who makes that determination and what is the basis for that choice?

Handgunner

Given the huge amount of responses to the question, Trizey, it doesn't seem to bother anyone else around here. :huh:

Oh well. One of those things I guess. Sort of like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?". :bounce:

reylamb

From a technical standpoint..........

The FCC has loosened the guidlines, the 7 "deadly" words are no longer the 7 deadly words. They can now be used as adjectives, but not verbs, even on over the air TV. Simply put, with cable the guidlines are very loose as was already mentioned, according to a ruling some 7 years ago now if you are paying for the service you are accepting what is being offered. Even then, most of the basic channels make an effort not to get too indecent, at least during the regular viewing hours, so as to not anger advertisers. Many companies will not advertise if a show has a mature rating, explicit language, adult content, or a lot of violence. Because of that some of the channels will censor more of their programs than others.

To be also technical, the FCC has the same jurisdiction over the cable companies as they do the OTA channels, they just have ruled to allow some leeway on programming as it is a pay service.

As far as who decides what is appropriate and what is not, that would be the commissioners, our dearly beloved, politically appointed commissioners. Not elected folks mind you, ones we could vote out, but political appointments for being the buddy of someone. Anywho, they, the commish, determine what is and what is not acceptable. At one time in our history it was not considered acceptable to show a man and a woman in the same bed, even if their characters were married; it was not acceptable to show undergarments, even commercials, and for sure the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show would be a big no-no; it is still illegal to show someone drinking alcohol on commercials; why are some of these things that seem to be rather mundane prohibited? Because oue dearly beloved commish says so, and since they report to no one in particular.............

Handgunner

Thanks, Reylamb... That was the answer I was looking for..