Antelope

TJay

I got the meat from my antelope a week or so ago and decided to make some chili with it and some venison. I've had antelope before but it was always in the form of summer sausage so I decided to brown the antelope separately so I could taste it once it was done. Ok the details; there was no fat added it was just ground antelope. While cooking it was a little strong smelling, probably would not get much of a reaction from another hunter but the wife might wrinkle her nose a little. So once it was browned off I tasted it and it was like the taste came in two stages. First stage was really good kind of a dry steak-y flavor and right after that came a profile a lot like lamb. It took me a couple of bites to nail down the lamb flavor but that is the closest I can come to describing it. Anyway I figured there may be someone on here that's never had it (like me) and wondered what it tasted like. I have some backstrap that I'm looking forward to trying I figure that will give me a better opportunity to experience the true flavor of the pronghorn antelope speed goat. I'll try to remember to post a pic of the chili.

pine floor

Looks EXCELLENT to me.

Killed one back in 89 or 90, some good meat to me, locals in Idaho said they tasted like sagebrush, I only eat mine, but it was righteous to me . Good tasting back straps for sure.

PF

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Had it once. I'll agree with the sage taste. Wasn't unpleasant by any means.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have had antelope backstrap that a friend gave me, and I thought it was delicious.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I had some once. Very mild sage notes. But I loved it.

cjones

Killed my first antelope in WY last fall. I agree that it is a distinct flavor. You won't eat it and say "oh.. that tastes like chicken." but it's not bad at all, just a unique flavor. We've used it in summer sausage and as an ingredient with other stuff - haven't gone full-antelope on steaks or anything like that yet.