Antler Restrictions/QDM

Tom Borck

Banned
Works great!! That is why this little fellow was able to reach 8-9 years old. How many clubs have a min. 16 " spread? Well, you would NEVER have the opportunity to take this buck with only a 12" spread!! He would be able to spread his genes for years and years!!

Reeves Buck..he weighed 337lbs on the hoof ..was aged at 8 to 9 yrs old ..has only a 12in inside spread and scored 178 6/8 B&C gross

Attachments

• SAR_Alberta_deer_2004.jpeg
    SAR_Alberta_deer_2004.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 147

Jorge

We have antler restrictions (14" inside) but only as a rough guideline. If a buck is 4.5 years or older the restrictions are not enforced. Our biggest buck last season had an inside spread of 13" but scored in the mid 130s and was 5.5 years old. We recognize that antler spread alone is not the best way to judge a mature buck, but this coupled with the our age rule works for us. If we start killing a bunch of 14.5" inch 2.5 year olds, we will have to amend the minimum spread rule. However, over the past several years, only 1 buck that I can think of taken off our club had a spread over the 14" minimum that was only 2.5 years old.

Tom Borck

Banned
There has got to be some leeway in the thinking for sure. We are moving to 4 points on one side this year, but if somebody shoots a monster 4 point that is 3.5-4.5 years old than there will be no penalty.

I like your club rules, antler and age restriction! Good combination to get some good bucks.

H

HT2

Tom........

In Hancock County the restrictions are "4 on one side" but we as a club have seen "MANY" and I mean "MANY" deer that are "4 on one side" but only have a 14-15 inch spread.....

We choose to let them go.........

They need to grow a bit more.........

As for that pic of that deer..........I'd say that is the exception rather than the rule........

Besides.......He looks like a Canadian Deer.........

Tom Borck

Banned
HT2 said:
In Hancock County the restrictions are "4 on one side" but we as a club have seen "MANY" and I mean "MANY" deer that are "4 on one side" but only have a 14-15 inch spread.....

We choose to let them go.........

They need to grow a bit more.........

As for that pic of that deer..........I'd say that is the exception rather than the rule........

Besides.......He looks like a Canadian Deer.........

YES I would say he is an exception! Yes, Alberta! What a monster buck...would you let him walk? :hair:

H

HT2

Tom..........

If I only saw his horns I'd say yes.........

But, with a body that is 337 pounds..........

I'd say no.......

He's a hoss........

I'd be more happy with a deer with a body size of that magnitude than that rack.......

CPiper

Comparing a deer from the Canada's to a Southern Deer is like comparing apples to oranges.
And besides, either way the sky aint falling - if you shoot a 110lb spike or a 4.5 year old stud, the sky wont fall.
:D :p ;)

H

HT2

Tom...........

Tom Borck said:
Imagine lugging this big boy out!!!
I'm too danged old to be draggin' a 337 lb. deer out of the woods.......

That's why we got young folks!!!!!!! :D :D :D

gabowman

I think it's great that a whole club can co-exist together with QDM club rules and everyone agrees all the time to what the other members preceptions of what should be shot and left walking are. I've never been a part of a club like that and dont think I ever will be. I have my own ideas of the sizes of deer that I'd shoot but honestly dont think I would be able to keep my cool if what I shot and was pruod of didnt meet up with someone elses standards. Just my thoughts!

GB

bull0ne

Banned
A deers antlers has no bearing on his age,you must look at his body, i've seen a 5.5 year old spike.

It varies by region but a mature walks different sorta like a grown bull and will be sway backed.

I know it's a highfenced deal but Jack Brittingham's videos have more mature buck footage than any i have seen.

Larry Rooks

One of uor clubs has no rules, but most of us want shoot it unless it is to be mounted. Some take anything that walks by and others restrict themsleves better. Other club, it must be mountable period and only one Buck a year