Any Ford 5.4 V8 Triton owners on here?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've got a 2006 F150 with the 'dreaded' triton 5.4l V8 engine. 235,000 miles, original owner. Oil changes religiously.

It started running real rough a couple weeks ago. Changed plugs (didn't break any off!), coil packs, cleaned the throttle body. Still running rough.

Finally got it to throw a code (P0345 - Cam Shaft Position Sensor, Bank 2). I unplugged the sensor, and she perked right up, so I replaced the sensor....still no better.

It's getting progressively worse. ODB scanner shows missing in a couple cylinders, but in the double digits (20-50).

Yesterday, while messing with it, I got the P0345 and P0349 codes. Again, those are driver side can shaft position sensor codes.

Anyone had this issue? Any ideas?
Thanks

poohbear

The chain and phasers are worn out there is a kit you can buy online to block out the phasers and it comes with a program to install in the ecm and it will run a lot better. It's about $800 and a little technical to install. But it worked for me.

ScLowCountry

I've got a 2006 F150 with the 'dreaded' triton 5.4l V8 engine. 235,000 miles, original owner. Oil changes religiously.

It started running real rough a couple weeks ago. Changed plugs (didn't break any off!), coil packs, cleaned the throttle body. Still running rough.

Finally got it to throw a code (P0345 - Cam Shaft Position Sensor, Bank 2). I unplugged the sensor, and she perked right up, so I replaced the sensor....still no better.

It's getting progressively worse. ODB scanner shows missing in a couple cylinders, but in the double digits (20-50).

Yesterday, while messing with it, I got the P0345 and P0349 codes. Again, those are driver side can shaft position sensor codes.

Anyone had this issue? Any ideas?
Thanks

You have to replace the sensor. If you unplug one sensor the vvt wil only work on one side. This will cause misfire.

You could also have worn rollers on the rockers. That was the first cause of misfire in my 5.43v. Had to replace them and the cam.

I also had a cam sensor fail. Causing symptoms you are describing

dwhee87

I think I've read about every thread in two different F150 forums on the issue, and realize the timing chain job is a likely outcome, but hoping to try a few cheaper solutions first.

I did replace the driver side cam shaft position sensor with a new one (no improvement), so at this point, I'm thinking go ahead and replace the other one (since they're only $20 each), and then replace both VCT solenoids. If that doesn't help, then probably to the shop it goes. The timing job is a little above my mechanical expertise.

The chain and phasers are worn out there is a kit you can buy online to block out the phasers and it comes with a program to install in the ecm and it will run a lot better. It's about $800 and a little technical to install. But it worked for me.

Any more info on this kit, Poohbear?

Last edited:

poohbear

I think I've read about every thread in two different F150 forums on the issue, and realize the timing chain job is a likely outcome, but hoping to try a few cheaper solutions first.

I did replace the driver side cam shaft position sensor with a new one (no improvement), so at this point, I'm thinking go ahead and replace the other one (since they're only $20 each), and then replace both VCT solenoids. If that doesn't help, then probably to the shop it goes. The timing job is a little above my mechanical expertise.

Any more info on this kit, Poohbear?
I don’t have any right now I will see if I can find for you. My son ordered the one we used on the vehicle we fixed, I will ask him where he got it. I know he found it online.

poohbear

I don’t have any right now I will see if I can find for you. My son ordered the one we used on the vehicle we fixed, I will ask him where he got it. I know he found it online.
Ok the kit was bought on livernoismotorsports.com this one worked out for us real good. He said also if you will google this there is another one that is a little bit cheaper maybe around $100 cheaper? He has a brother in-law that runs a shop and he bought one also and he had good results so it is a quality kit .

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
What ever you do replace the phasers and timing chains with FoMoCo parts!! They are better than the others, I ordered the lock out kit from Western Motorsports. I ended up having to install a new FoMoCo reman engine due to more than just phasers. I kept the lock outs and still use the tuner, I will install the lock outs when my warranty expires.

Here is where I got my lock out kit.
https://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/bi...w-sct-x4-and-tune-4-6-and-5-4-3v-details.html

dwhee87

Thanks, guys.

John Cooper

Thanks, guys.
Also keep in mind that the lock outs will advance you timing, you will loose some top end power and fuel mileage will suffer too.

Also even with the lock outs you can still have phaser problems, who ever you get to do the job make sure they clean all the oil galleys and it's best to upgrade to the melling high volume oil pump!! Look on the f150 forums and read up on it, most recommend going with the steel ratcheting tensioners the the V10 uses.

dwhee87

Also keep in mind that the lock outs will advance you timing, you will loose some top end power and fuel mileage will suffer too.

Also even with the lock outs you can still have phaser problems, who ever you get to do the job make sure they clean all the oil galleys and it's best to upgrade to the melling high volume oil pump!! Look on the f150 forums and read up on it, most recommend going with the steel ratcheting tensioners the the V10 uses.
Melling also makes a set of cast iron chain guides that are nighly recommended.

Last edited:

dwhee87

Update on the rough running 5.4 V8 Triton....

took it into a local small shop on Friday after thanksgiving. Gave the owner the lowdown on everything I'd done, and talked with him for a few minutes on the historical issues with this particular Ford motor. Finally heard from him in Tuesday am. He'd taken it for a drive and plugged it into his diagnostic computer and come up with same codes. He told be that all the parts the codes pointed to an issue with oil pressure, and that before he started taking things apart, he wanted to change the oil and filter and see how it ran after. I gave him the go ahead, since the last synthetic oil change was just over 5000 miles ago, so it was due, anyway. I picked it up late yesterday, and it is running fine. Plugged in my obd reader for the drive to and from work today, and all tests are green/passing, and no codes. Knocking and missing is gone. Can't believe it at this point, and going ahead and saving up for the timing job that I know is coming. But maybe this bought me a couple months.

The guy charged me $40 for the oil change. Wouldn't take a penny more.

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Good news on the easy fix. When the cam phasers start acting up, the motor will rattle alot on cold starts and quickly go quiet. Once you get to that point it's just a matter of time. My dad has an 04 with the 5.4 and has gotten lucky so far, but he doesn't out alotnof miles on it. Like another poster said, loom up forteckmaculoko on YouTube. He does alot of info about this issue.

John Cooper

Good news on the easy fix. When the cam phasers start acting up, the motor will rattle alot on cold starts and quickly go quiet. Once you get to that point it's just a matter of time. My dad has an 04 with the 5.4 and has gotten lucky so far, but he doesn't out alotnof miles on it. Like another poster said, loom up forteckmaculoko on YouTube. He does alot of info about this issue.
Yep Matt's got his name correctly. I subscribed to his YouTube channel and he good.

dwhee87

UPDATE: We'll, the oil change got me almost 3000 miles before it started acting up again. Yesterday started noticing a shudder at idle, and this afternoon, left the house, and got down the block and it threw the check engine light. Had my reader plugged in, so pulled over, and turned on the app on my phone to read it. Cylinder 5 misfire, and several codes related to the timing and cam position sensors.

I went ahead and stopped at the store and got everything needed to change the oil, did that when I got home, and that did help the shudder, but still throwing the codes. Looks like the temp fix was a temp fix, indeed. Will have to run it into the shop tomorrow and see if it's time for the timing job.

John Cooper

UPDATE: We'll, the oil change got me almost 3000 miles before it started acting up again. Yesterday started noticing a shudder at idle, and this afternoon, left the house, and got down the block and it threw the check engine light. Had my reader plugged in, so pulled over, and turned on the app on my phone to read it. Cylinder 5 misfire, and several codes related to the timing and cam position sensors.

I went ahead and stopped at the store and got everything needed to change the oil, did that when I got home, and that did help the shudder, but still throwing the codes. Looks like the temp fix was a temp fix, indeed. Will have to run it into the shop tomorrow and see if it's time for the timing job.
Don't skimp on the parts!! Buy the OEM phasers, tensioners and guides and update the oil pump to the melling high volume one.