Any Ford 5.4 V8 Triton owners on here?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Don't skimp on the parts!! Buy the OEM phasers, tensioners and guides and update the oil pump to the melling high volume one.
Yep, that's what I read on all the forums.

hipster dufus

I gotta ask, why keep throwing money at a truck w 235k on it? I can c a couple hundred but it would b my beater truck.

nickel back

UPDATE: We'll, the oil change got me almost 3000 miles before it started acting up again. Yesterday started noticing a shudder at idle, and this afternoon, left the house, and got down the block and it threw the check engine light. Had my reader plugged in, so pulled over, and turned on the app on my phone to read it. Cylinder 5 misfire, and several codes related to the timing and cam position sensors.

I went ahead and stopped at the store and got everything needed to change the oil, did that when I got home, and that did help the shudder, but still throwing the codes. Looks like the temp fix was a temp fix, indeed. Will have to run it into the shop tomorrow and see if it's time for the timing job.

sounds like its time for another truck.

dwhee87

sounds like its time for another truck.

But I love my truck....:cry:

Emotional attachment, I guess. Only owner, 238k miles. It's soooo clean on the inside, and other than some scratches on the body, no body damage. Every scratch has a story (like that Chevy commercial). When I look at other used vehicles, they're all trashed compared to mine. I couldn't replace it for what the timing job would cost.

Heck, I couldn't replace it for what a new engine would cost.

dwhee87

I gotta ask, why keep throwing money at a truck w 235k on it? I can c a couple hundred but it would b my beater truck.

You seen what a new truck costs these days? Even a used one with 90k on it is +$20k.

If I can put $2500 into it and get another year or two out of it, money well spent. As far as the 'keep throwing money', other than routine maintenance, it's never had any serious issues.

Last edited:

bullfrog79

I’m building another one now. I have a little over a grand in it so far. Melling high volume oil pump, melling timing set with cast tensioners, motor craft sp546 plugs, new head bolts and full set of gaskets. Had the heads checked, cleaned and surfaced and new stem seals.

dwhee87

I’m building another one now. I have a little over a grand in it so far. Melling high volume oil pump, melling timing set with cast tensioners, motor craft sp546 plugs, new head bolts and full set of gaskets. Had the heads checked, cleaned and surfaced and new stem seals.
You doing the work yourself? If so, what's your take on level of expertise needed to do this myself. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but never opened up an engine.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
This is 04-08 3v.
Anybody can do it but it will take a novice several days of downtime.

dwhee87

I have used the phaser lockouts before and they work well.
Thought about the lockouts, but once I get that far disassembled, I hate not to just go ahead and change them out with OEMs. The computer re-flash after locking out costs about as much as the new cam phasers do.

bullfrog79

Be sure and check the cam caps for scoring before doing any work. If they are worn, it becomes a much bigger job.

B. White

But I love my truck....:cry:

Emotional attachment, I guess. Only owner, 238k miles. It's soooo clean on the inside, and other than some scratches on the body, no body damage. Every scratch has a story (like that Chevy commercial). When I look at other used vehicles, they're all trashed compared to mine. I couldn't replace it for what the timing job would cost.

Heck, I couldn't replace it for what a new engine would cost.

I don't blame you. 200+ on my 2001. I now drive a focus to work and back and save the gas, but I can't see why I would want to sell the truck and buy another one. It has never left me stranded. It limped into an auto parts store on the way to hunt last year when the ac compressor lost the pulley and the belt came off. I didn't think I was going to make it, but she got me off the road. Not all that clean, but I would feel like I was selling a kid after this many years.

I've got a 2006 F150 with the 'dreaded' triton 5.4l V8 engine. 235,000 miles, original owner. Oil changes religiously.

It started running real rough a couple weeks ago. Changed plugs (didn't break any off!), coil packs, cleaned the throttle body. Still running rough.

Finally got it to throw a code (P0345 - Cam Shaft Position Sensor, Bank 2). I unplugged the sensor, and she perked right up, so I replaced the sensor....still no better.

It's getting progressively worse. ODB scanner shows missing in a couple cylinders, but in the double digits (20-50).

Yesterday, while messing with it, I got the P0345 and P0349 codes. Again, those are driver side can shaft position sensor codes.

Anyone had this issue? Any ideas?
Thanks

That sucks. Ive got a 2001 5.4 F150 Ive had since new. Shes my weekend truck now. Never have had a issue with anything but plugs/coils and that was from a busted heater hose soaking them. It had a transmission at 148k. Far from a dreaded motor.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
05 expedition with 200,000 here, y’all are making me nervous with these troubles. It’s been unproblematic til 2019, had the tranny rebuilt then. Other than plugs and a few wear parts, she’s been a good one.

Buford_Dawg

2007 with 170K. Just had to put new plugs (2nd time) and several coils needed to be replaced. Been a outstanding truck, love the 5.4 engine. Son calls me earlier this week, gas gauge not registering, apparently it is in the gas tank, 700.00 repair, I told him to fill it up and count down his milege, LOL..... It has been a terrific truck.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
2007 with 170K. Just had to put new plugs (2nd time) and several coils needed to be replaced. Been a outstanding truck, love the 5.4 engine. Son calls me earlier this week, gas gauge not registering, apparently it is in the gas tank, 700.00 repair, I told him to fill it up and count down his milege, LOL..... It has been a terrific truck.
You can pull the tank in half an hour or less.