Any ideas about this misfire cartridge?

davel

Went to shoot a doe last night and click! Nothing. Glad it wasn't a trophy buck. I have attached pictures of the cartridge. Is this bad primer? You can see what appears to be some staining from the powder maybe? I have no clue. This is a brand new Winchester 270 Deer Season XP in 130 grain. Sighted the gun in a few months ago without any issues.
Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• 20230108_095441.jpg
    20230108_095441.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20230108_095513.jpg
    20230108_095513.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Wow
Reactions: Dub

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Went to shoot a doe last night and click! Nothing. Glad it wasn't a trophy buck. I have attached pictures of the cartridge. Is this bad primer? You can see what appears to be some staining from the powder maybe? I have no clue. This is a brand new Winchester 270 Deer Season XP in 130 grain. Sighted the gun in a few months ago without any issues.
Thanks for the feedback.
Had that happen to me on a nice buck with a Hornady SST a couple years ago. Only centerfire misfire I ever had.

Lilly001

Did you try it a second time?
I had a light strike on an encore due to crud from using it as a muzzle loader building up on the firing pin.

Big7

The Oracle
Oil will make a primer not fire no matter how hard the strike.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm not familiar with the term teming, but I wonder if whatever stained it somehow got into the priming material. I don't believe Winchester seals their primers on a regular basis unless it is NATO loads.

transfixer

I'm not familiar with the term teming, but I wonder if whatever stained it somehow got into the priming material. I don't believe Winchester seals their primers on a regular basis unless it is NATO loads.

I agree, looks like it might have been left in the chamber and water / or too much solvent was in there for a period of time ? and penetrated into the primer pocket

Nimrod71

I can attest to the fact oil and solvents will destroy a primer. Have you cleaned and oiled the rifle before you last fired it? If other rounds were in the rifle I could check them for the stained primer. If these were stained I would try firing them. If they failed to fire I would discard them and try some that were not stained.

HughW2

Call 618-258-200 or connect with Winchester on Facebook.
Report to Quality Control Customer Service. They should offer a refund or a discount for further purchases to make it right.
Let us know.
Best of Luck.

davel

Thank you guys for all the info!! I will definitely call winchester.
I did clean and oil it after I shot it but I don't use an excessive amount of oil or lubricant.
The other cartridges in the magazine do not have this stain.
Thanks again for all the info!

BriarPatch99

Late to the party ...

I would say just a bad primer ... probably a product of "making" them as fast as possible ...

Question ...did you snap it more than once ..?

The reason I asked ... if the "pellet" of priming compound ... which is placed into the primer "wet" and drys ... if that pellet is fractured by a light strike ...you can snap it as much as you like and it will never fire ...
Upon seating the anvil is pressed slightly to the pellet ... that preloaded pressure on the pellet making the strike basically explode the compound forcing fire and hot particles out into the powder for ignition and burning ...

And I will add that primers are not nearly as sensitive to oil contamination as many believe ... most are sealed by a paper/foil disc to prevent it from happening...