Any ideas about this misfire cartridge?

Lukikus2

I didn’t think a primer would have have the compression to unseat a bullet? Never tried it. I do know that at the range the bucket of “unfired” ammo gets fuller by the day. Got my interest up. Next time I am going to pull the bullet and look. Been throwing some 5.56 in there myself.

davel

Late to the party ...

I would say just a bad primer ... probably a product of "making" them as fast as possible ...

Question ...did you snap it more than once ..?

The reason I asked ... if the "pellet" of priming compound ... which is placed into the primer "wet" and drys ... if that pellet is fractured by a light strike ...you can snap it as much as you like and it will never fire ...
Upon seating the anvil is pressed slightly to the pellet ... that preloaded pressure on the pellet making the strike basically explode the compound forcing fire and hot particles out into the powder for ignition and burning ...

And I will add that primers are not nearly as sensitive to oil contamination as many believe ... most are sealed by a paper/foil disc to prevent it from happening...
No just one shot. I ejected it and tried to chamber another for a shot but every doe in the plot heard it and took off.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I didn’t think a primer would have have the compression to unseat a bullet? Never tried it. I do know that at the range the bucket of “unfired” ammo gets fuller by the day. Got my interest up. Next time I am going to pull the bullet and look. Been throwing some 5.56 in there myself.
I don't know if the bullet would come out of the case or not 100%. I do believe 100% he would have heard a pop from the primer.

I do know 100% that you can leave the powder out of a shotgun shell and the primer will send the shot out of the barrel. The wad may not leave the end but the shot will. I wouldn't expect a bullet to leave the barrel.

trial&error

Bad primer. possible contamination. Check other brass from the box for exposure and if good, fire one to confirm. If good......Label that box for range firing only. Don't want it to happen again.

BriarPatch99

Looking at the photo again ....I am gonna stick with the opinion that you were unlucky and got one of the rare bad primers that happens.... with the demand for primers nowadays ... I am surprised that there are not more duds than we hear about ...

But as a whole ...primers are the most likely component to work as designed ... you can get bad bullets, bad brass, bad powder and there are a few bad primers ...

Primer was solvent contaminated.
Even a small amount has the ability to “creep” into the cartridge and deaden the primer.

Having been a L.E. Officer for 25+ yrs, we were constantly admonished to wipe dry our firearms and routinely rotate ammunition. I’ve seen it happen more than once!

It’s not so much how much, but what, where, and how long ...

davel

I have submitted a report to Winchester's online complaint system. We will see what they say.
Problem is I bought 2 boxes and both have the same lot number. Wife went through the box the bad cartridge was in and found another with similar staining.

Jester896

Senior Clown
OK... so the staining was there from the box...not being in the rifle

wonder if the other one fires
wonder if they were both on the same end of the box
does the end of the box look like it got wet

still looking like contaminated primer

davel

OK... so the staining was there from the box...not being in the rifle

wonder if the other one fires
wonder if they were both on the same end of the box
does the end of the box look like it got wet

still looking like contaminated primer
No didn't get wet. I keep my ammo in my safe. And it wasn't from excessive oil.

Did you try to fire it out of a different rifle?

Wife had a misfire on a big buck several years back. The round fired from a different rifle. I ended up replacing her firing spring in her Ruger with a 25-pound spring.

davel

Did you try to fire it out of a different rifle?

Wife had a misfire on a big buck several years back. The round fired from a different rifle. I ended up replacing her firing spring in her Ruger with a 25-pound spring.
No I haven't but the firing pin made a good strike. I attached a picture. I shot 2 rounds from this box back in September when we checked the zero on our scopes. 2 out of my gun and 2 out of my wife's Savage. No issues.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The staining on the case may be the lead clue to the dud primer. At some point during the manufacturing until the rounds were loaded into the box something got onto the case and possibly into the primer.

If the box has no stains on the inside cardboard then it had to happen prior to being packed.

The only other possibility is that the primer was a dud from the start.

I would try to fire the other stained cartridge and see what happens.

davel

The staining on the case may be the lead clue to the dud primer. At some point during the manufacturing until the rounds were loaded into the box something got onto the case and possibly into the primer.

If the box has no stains on the inside cardboard then it had to happen prior to being packed.

The only other possibility is that the primer was a dud from the start.

I would try to fire the other stained cartridge and see what happens.
Will do. Just hope it doesn't mess anything up.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Will do. Just hope it doesn't mess anything up.
If the cartridge doesn' fire wait 30 seconds before opening and keep it pointed down range. Then try it again...same thing if it doesn't fire the 2nd time, wait before opening etc.
If at any point it does fire check the bore from the receiver end to make sure everything left the barrel.
If for some reason that 2nd stained one doesn't fire Be Sure To mention the stains to Winchester if you have'nt already.

davel

If the cartridge doesn' fire wait 30 seconds before opening and keep it pointed down range. Then try it again...same thing if it doesn't fire the 2nd time, wait before opening etc.
If at any point it does fire check the bore from the receiver end to make sure everything left the barrel.
If for some reason that 2nd stained one doesn't fire Be Sure To mention the stains to Winchester if you have'nt already.
I already did.

Stevie Ray

This is why I don’t buy Winchester nothing.

I had a bad Winchester LRP (hand load) burn a very slight divot in the bolt face of an M1A a few years ago and have been reluctant to use Winchester primers since, they did send me a 1k box of new primers but I believe they're stashed in the back of the primer cabinet somewhere.