Any meat smoker folk use Maggi Seasoning Sauce?

Artfuldodger

It was invented in Switzerland to help folks eat cooked dried beans. It was first popular in Germany but in the 30's it became popular in Asian countries.
Now I'm reading that a lot of restaurants use it as a secret ingredient.
It's also popular on the meat smoking forums to add to a marinade.
I'm not really concerned with any health aspects of it. It only takes a few drops.
1699730332779.jpeg

tr21

my mother was German and used it in a lot of her recipes. the flavor is hard to describe, it's like a real strong dale's is about the best way I can think of to describe it. I put a few drops in a cup o noodles for extra flavor but never thought of using it when smoking meats. I'll have to give it a try next time...

Artfuldodger

Yeah it seems like a lot of Germans use it. I guess it's more of a flavor enhancer. The US one doesn't have any MSG. None added anyway, a lot of things have natural MSG like mushrooms and seaweed.
Asians sprinkle it on eggs and rice if for no other use.
Also reading it has different flavor profiles according to the regions sold. Catsup is like this too, even Hunts, etc.
In the Philippines, Maggi has a more pronounced garlic seasoning. Mexico has it's on called Jugo.
In the Philippines, Maggi has a more pronounced garlic seasoning. The German version is more complex and rich. It’s easily recognized by its red cap and is the bottle most commonly available in supermarkets. That's the one Asians use the most.

Taste profile? Inscriptions are all over the place; meatier soy sauce, Worcestershire, smoky roasted onions, super complex, umami bomb, etc.
It's best work happens in the shadows, when it deepens the richness of caramelized tomato paste or adds structure to a vegetable broth without drawing all the attention to itself.

In relation to how it works, it sounds like one shouldn't taste it in recipe. Sorta like fish sauce or Worcestershire which is also a type of fish sauce. Really a lot of ingredients that you want to be a part of a dish but shouldn't hardly be detected.

Reminds me of making Rum Cream, it's got rum, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and coconut but it's not suppose to taste like any of those things.

Big7

The Oracle
We got a favorite condiments thread somewhere.

I ain't never tried the liquid seasoning but they make bullion in a jar of loose granules that pretty strong compared to other brands.

Seems like they make cubes too.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
We got a favorite condiments thread somewhere.

I ain't never tried the liquid seasoning but they make bullion in a jar of loose granules that pretty strong compared to other brands.

Seems like they make cubes too.
Find you a reputable German marketplace web site and you'll find Maggi makes all kinds of seasonings and mixes, my favorite is Jager-Sahne Schnitzel.

ambush80

It was invented in Switzerland to help folks eat cooked dried beans. It was first popular in Germany but in the 30's it became popular in Asian countries.
Now I'm reading that a lot of restaurants use it as a secret ingredient.
It's also popular on the meat smoking forums to add to a marinade.
I'm not really concerned with any health aspects of it. It only takes a few drops.
View attachment 1268438

Haven't tried it on BBQ but I put it in burger meat sometimes. People go "Wassat?" when they eat one.

tr21

just went and ordered some on ebay and found out they also make a it in a spicy version too ....I want to try to add it to my vegetable beef soup recipe

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
What else do you use it on?
Soups, stir fry, sauces, just about everything I'm not batter frying. Not sure why on the batter frying, guess cause I do that up stairs and the Maggi is in the down stairs kitchen where I do most other cooking.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
just went and ordered some on ebay and found out they also make a it in a spicy version too ....I want to try to add it to my vegetable beef soup recipe
If you buy it from a on line German marketplace it taste "better?".

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
You can get it at most Krogers and definitely at any international market like Nam Dae Mun or Buford Hwy. Farmer's Market.
The one's at Krogers over here are "yellow" topped, which isn't bad.. just not the same. I'm glad I no longer have to go WAY over to Buford Hwy. any more, just across the line into Cobb Co. I've got 3 Nam Dae Muns plus 2 other Int. markets even closer to the west side.. that I know of. Granted none are as massive as the Buford Hwy. one.. but then neither is the traffic.

Artfuldodger

I saw it at our local Asian market but didn't know what it was until after I got home and googled it's popularity. Stopped at Kroger for a few things the other day and didn't see it. I'm now reading the the German red top one is better than the yellow top one. Interesting.
"The color of the bottle cap changes from country to country: a red cap is used in Switzerland, Germany, Canada and France; a yellow cap is used in China and the Netherlands. Most Americans see the yellow cap."

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I saw it at our local Asian market but didn't know what it was until after I got home and googled it's popularity. Stopped at Kroger for a few things the other day and didn't see it. I'm now reading the the German red top one is better than the yellow top one. Interesting.
"The color of the bottle cap changes from country to country: a red cap is used in Switzerland, Germany, Canada and France; a yellow cap is used in China and the Netherlands. Most Americans see the yellow cap."
I won't say either is better, just what one starts with. I learned about it while in Germany and it's just a preference. I truely doubt if you put it to a blind test most "old hands" couldn't tell the difference with a sip... but once they cooked with it they might find their "normal" flavor just a touch off.. maybe.