Any More News on Snakeheads?

Toasty

I’ve been googling news articles every so often since they found them a few weeks ago. Anyone heard anything new about snakeheads in GA waters? Just wondering.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Hoping this is an isolated incident of someone releasing there pets, in that particular body of water. If they get into a river or big lake they will be there to stay.

ShoalBandit

DNR said they found young ones in the wetlands bellow the private pond the adults were caught in.
I saw the same interview on the local news and that's what I heard. BTW I don't know if it's a coincidence but there's some great snakehead habitat in that drainage. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better place for them within two hours of that area (IMO). They might not have the resources to grow as large as the ones in the Potomac but there'll definitely be a catchable population soon (if there isn't already).

Unfortunately some irresponsible pet owner is most likely to blame—I found a dead arowana in the pond at Shorty Howell Park about 20 years ago so it probably happens more than we'd like to think.

Last edited:

Philhutch80

Banned
I saw the same interview on the local news and that's what I heard. BTW I don't know if it's a coincidence but there's some great snakehead habitat in that drainage. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better place for them within two hours of that area (IMO). They might not have the resources to grow as large as the ones in the Potomac but there'll definitely be a catchable population soon (if there isn't already).

Unfortunately some irresponsible pet owner is most likely to blame—I found a dead arowana in the pond at Shorty Howell Park about 20 years ago so it probably happens more than we'd like to think.

It was also recommended to check the local live fish markets as well.

little rascal

Their in the markets frozen. Never seen a Bowfin in the market???? They say snakies eat pretty good....? Guess I'll find out if I ever find one. Hey, it might just be the new Tilapia, Orange Roughy etc,,. You know, the not fishy tasting fishies the yuppies were looking for that went from cheap to, oh might as well buy snapper or grouper!!!

The mtn man

I know a guy that caught a red parona out of the hiwassee river on the nc side 20 years ago, theres no telling what people have put in the water we dont know about.

7 point

I know the folks down in south Fla catch snake heads in the big canels all the time in fact they go out in search of them .