Any outboard mechanics? ...I have an issue

Glenn

I have a 90's model Mercury 9.9hp. Was going across a flat this morning in the gulf at full throttle. Suddenly it sounded like I ran across a clump of grass and the motor made the high pitched sound when weds get cuaght up around it. So I stop and proceeded to blow the trash off in reverse. Then I try to go forward and there was nothing there :hair:

If you put it in forward it would just go idle speed (or slower) and if you gave it gas it would just rev up and not go anywhere.

Did I spin a prop?

Spin a gear off?

:(

Kdog

Sounds like you sheered a pin. Take the prop off, and there should be a sheer pin that engages it to the shaft. If this is the case, when you go get a new one, get two or three so you have some spares. ;)

Kdog

Glenn

Found the problem.

The prop has a rubber cushion inside that surrounds the shaft part (hard to explain) the rubber has worn out and basicly just lets the prop spin without any power to it.

So Just need a new prop :cheers:

Limbshaker

GONetwork Member
Uh Glenn, I was juuuuuuuuust about to tell you to check that!!! ::ke: ::ke:

Really, I would've said the same thing Kdog did.

git'r

Skipper

Banned
I'm not sure how much a prop for a 9.9 costs, but I know what they cost on my 200 Johnny Rude. I've had more than one hub wear out over the years, and instead of chucking down $300+ for a new prop, I take mine to the prop shop and for about $35 to $40 they put a brand new hub in it and work the blades to get out a few of the rock nicks I end up with. If the prop is still in good shape and you've bought a new one, it might be handy to have the hub replaced and keep the old prop as a spare.

Skipper

Lostoutlaw

Oh NO

Glenn said:
Found the problem.

The prop has a rubber cushion inside that surrounds the shaft part (hard to explain) the rubber has worn out and basicly just lets the prop spin without any power to it.

What ya really need to do is sell it to me REAL cheap and go buy you a new one :cool: ;) ;) :cool: :cool: :cool: :banana:

Glenn

Skipper I was going to call a place that repairs them first :flag: then.....

I was going to look into a new prop if they could not fix it :D

Kdog

You may also want to check ebay. I know some hate buying from ebay, but you can find some good deals on new props that just don't sell in the shops.

Kdog

Harvester

Glenn said:
Found the problem.

Dont buy a new one yet!!!
You can get it replaced,alot cheaper if its the hub which sounds like you described. if the prop is aluminum then get a new prop

Harvester

just in time skip

Finally read ALL the posts after i responded and boy am I late by 12 hours. just cant stop jumping the gun :banginghe. glad u were there skip