Any Steiner AF 8x30 users / review out there?

Jim Boyd

I think I have the bino that you're referring to, it is the 6 x 32 Katmai by Leupold. Fairly light at 18 ounces and very bright and clear. My go to glass for hunting at our lease. I think they also made an 8 power and you're right they are discontinued.

6x32 is a great configuration.

I fear many people fall into the “bigger is better” mentality with binos - as they do with scopes - and that MAY not be the best solution for their application.

I just added a 1-6x24 Vortex on a carbine and it is exactly what the doctor ordered.

To me, it is the quality of the glass, correctly matched in size to the application, that creates the best outcome.

Good luck.

Jim Boyd

Here they are next to a 10 x 42 Vortex HD.

Great combo for binos.

I am trying to lighten up and minimize as I hunt, thus my ongoing search for small frame and light weight - along with simplicity.

The Steiner’s were chosen primarily because of the no-adjust from 20M to infinity.

Again, I will do a review later.

TJay

Great combo for binos.

I am trying to lighten up and minimize as I hunt, thus my ongoing search for small frame and light - along with simplicity.

The Steiner’s were chosen primarily because of the no-adjust from 20M to infinity.

Again, I will do a review later.
I don't think you can go wrong with the Predators. Just following this thread makes me want to buy some. I am a sucker for good glass. What were the Zeiss that you had? Were they the Terra's?

Jim Boyd

I don't think you can go wrong with the Predators. Just following this thread makes me want to buy some. I am a sucker for good glass. What were the Zeiss that you had? Were they the Terra's?

Yessir, they are Zeiss Terra and have startling glass in them.

They are light and would be a 100% joy for bow hunting..... but -

I do not like the dual hinge design.

Unless they are handled very carefully (which is often hard in a deer stand at 25 Degrees F) you end up needing two hands to space them to your pupil width.

In truth, even normal adjustable binos generally require two hands. Some can be one handed but I rarely find that I do that.

I really need (want?) to be able to pick up the binos with one hand and glass. Hoping the Predators allow this - and reading as much as I could... this was one of the positive points many folks made.

Zeiss are NIB and will go on the swap / trade / sell block!

Yessir, I am a pure sucker for good glass, as well.

Be safe, sir.

Sounds like you pitched a $250 pair of binos.

Got money to burn, I guess that is a good plan.

Steiner generally has a lifetime warranty and a reputation for clarity.
Yep if I don’t like them I’ll toss them and get something I do like , different strokes for different folks Jim , in my opinion there junk sorry you don’t agree

Jim Boyd

Yep if I don’t like them I’ll toss them and get something I do like , different strokes for different folks Jim , in my opinion there junk sorry you don’t agree

Well, they just came yesterday so the jury is still out, sir.

They are different, that is for sure.

The CAT coatings are def not true to life, color wise.

Hope you ended up with something you love!

Latest posts