Any tips on catching gar on Lanier?

Coenen

Rope lure and start looking for them in the backs of the major creeks. There should be a lot of them grouping up to spawn.

sbroadwell

I've caught a bunch of them over the years with a frayed nylon rope, like in the video above. I hook the rope on an old Johnson Silver Minnow lure, to give it a little more flash.
But, I've caught a few accidentally, on live bait or jigs. I really prefer catching them this way. Sometimes, using the rope, and depending on how it entangled their teeth, they really don't fight at all, just swim in peaceably. I think that in these cases their teeth are entangled so that their mouth can't close. But, the rope does catch them.

goshenmountainman

We went on about 5 trips last summer in July, caught 10-12 small bream, put them on a hook under a bobber about 4 ft. and look out. Have to let them take the bait and run with it, usually they will go about 50yds. and stop. Then you set the hook real hard and make sure you got any slack out before jerking, then the fight is on. Fight is awesome and they taste that way to.

sbroadwell

I'm getting sorta fired up reading this! If Bobby Brown opens back up, I'm heading up to Clark Hill. Starting about now, you can see gar all over the place there. I'm gonna take some gloves and sheet metal shears, and see if I can figure out how to get the backstrap out. Never tried gar, but it sounds like it's good.

the Lackster

I'm getting sorta fired up reading this! If Bobby Brown opens back up, I'm heading up to Clark Hill. Starting about now, you can see gar all over the place there. I'm gonna take some gloves and sheet metal shears, and see if I can figure out how to get the backstrap out. Never tried gar, but it sounds like it's good.
Bobby brown is open, gar action is a little delayed on the hill right now. Holler at me about cleaning them. I dress them out pretty regular in the warm weather.

sbroadwell

They are? I'm on their "Friends of Bobby Brown" list, and yesterday I got another message saying they weren't taking any reservations yet. Ones that are already there don't have to leave, but no new reservations. I'll check again

the Lackster

They are? I'm on their "Friends of Bobby Brown" list, and yesterday I got another message saying they weren't taking any reservations yet. Ones that are already there don't have to leave, but no new reservations. I'll check again
I put in friday night and last Saturday. Camp ground appeared to be loaded up both times around.

sbroadwell

I just checked again. Not taking any new reservations til the end of May. This time of year, it fills up pretty good. Since they are not kicking people out that are there, I imagine the ones that are there are just staying. June won't be too late.