Anybody getting plans made for midwest hunts?

Jim Boyd

Does anybody care to pass along any info, leased land in Kentucky 3 years. Loved it but I was paying the majority of it and just got burnt out on spending all the money. Will be headed to Illinois or Kentucky this year, would love to get on a lease but will probably end up on public land. I am putting in the research but dang there are alot of options, would prefer to bow hunt, would prefer lodging close by. Would rather be in a higher population area with a chance at a good deer.

if forced to hunt public, I would hunt Illinois and shoot for the northern half of the state.

There is a small tract in Schuyler (can’t recall the name) that is smack in the middle of good farm country. I rarely see a truck there.

It is small though.

I would pick 5-6 possible areas and go scout right now.

The trails and crossings are super obvious this time of year.

Good luck.

deast1988

After a week in Colorado 75miles on the boots, getting passed by horses and seeing a never ending line of people in some OTC/DIY wilderness last fall. I loved up, hearing bugles at 10,000ft.

This Fall, we’ve signed on to an outfitter and trying to do the preferred system in New Mexico. Lower Elevation much more private land, tougher to draw. But we are locked in for a September Archery elk hunt, if we pull the tags.

85% go to residents, rest are up to everything else. Outfitters get 5% of total allocation so here’s to the 5%

ssramage

Last year I won a sweepstakes for a hunt in Ohio with Trophy Rock and Heartland Bowhunter. Due to some unfortunate circumstances around Covid, that hunt got cancelled. They reached out to me in Dec and said they'd be rescheduling for this year. Not sure when/where it'll be yet, so I'm not doing much planning other than being flexible with that.

HavocLover

This will be the first time I have ever hunted out of state...super excited for the opportunity for sure.

It will absolutely ruin you… invest in a good grunt call, rattling horns, good binos, and a few portable cell phone chargers.

The calls- for obvious reasons. But they react to them. Nothing like a GA deer.

Binos for glassing fields. Depending how the farm lays out you can see for a very good ways.

The portable phone chargers will help keep your sanity because you should definitely be sitting all day everyday with the time frame you’re looking at being there.

Good luck. It’s a whole different beast!

Big7

The Oracle
I'm looking to split a trip 2 or 3 ways.
Elk, Moose and maybe Bear.

Money is really not an issue for those 3 but I have ZERO interest in killing a Mule Deer, Backtail or any out of state Whitetail if it's going to be thousands of dollars.
Hunting for sure and fishing would be a plus.

Guide, DYI, Hotel, Campground or whatever out west somewhere, Montana, Idaho, Washington State, Colorado, New Mexico, etc... and Alaska or Canada is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Have Cash
Have Equipment
Will Travel

I'm single and I retired young. I can go 2 days. 2 months. 2 years... Don't matter to me. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Seriously.

Last edited:

ILbowhntr

Is it illegal to hunt hogs in your state?
It is . IDNR decided that if you could only shoot them 7 days during shotgun season, then no one would set up preserves. They didn’t consider the ones that had already moved in.